1984 Hunter 31 Fuel Gauge/sending unit & Holding tank sending unit.

Jul 29, 2016
Hunter 31 Comox BC
We have been working on getting the fuel gauge to work, but no luck. It looks like I need to replace both the gauge and sending unit. Any suggestions as to best make, sizes etc. Going to go down and measure the gauge and tank depth tomorrow then see what I can find at an economical cost!
My holding tank is under the v berth. I have read some owners have a sending unit, I do not, but do have a plastic inspection plate installed on the top. Don't know if that was an after market add on or not. Anyone have a sending unit and gauge in theirs? I am wondering if its even needed. If so what types etc..... Curious. Thanks

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Let us know what type of level measurement set up you have on the fuel tank before you go replacing both the sender and the gauge. Chances may be that it's only one item that's failed.

For the holding tank, what material is the tank ?

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I have an '83 and I have zero gauges as it relates to fuel, fresh water or holding tank. I would guess that any gauges that you have are post factory installed. The holding tank is fiberglass and is built as a part of the boat under the v berth, same is true of the freshwater tank under the port quarter berth.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Everything Mike just posted about his '83 holds true for my '83 as well.