insulating tiles

Sep 10, 2012
Hunter 450 Gulfport, Florida
Anyone tried using the Sailors Solutions insulating tiles for the engine compartment? They are about ten bucks for a sq ft with adhesive back and a supposedly durable hard front surface. My old lead foam stuff is messy and undesirable at best. If any of that stuff gets on the sole it wants to become one for eternity. I expect there are cheaper options but I only want to do this once.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Anyone tried using the Sailors Solutions insulating tiles for the engine compartment? They are about ten bucks for a sq ft with adhesive back and a supposedly durable hard front surface. My old lead foam stuff is messy and undesirable at best. If any of that stuff gets on the sole it wants to become one for eternity. I expect there are cheaper options but I only want to do this once.
Yes. I used them on my Sabre 30 that had the deteriorating foam covered lead sound proofing. They were fairly easy to install and seemed to work pretty well. One benefit was the shiny surface, easy to clean and highly reflective making the engine room a bit brighter. The tiles are about 1" thick, this may cause a few issues with any thing attached to the bulkheads, like wires, fuel lines, filers, etc. I would use them again.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
Yes, I used them also. They made the stairs heavier to move and did not stick upside down on the rough fiberglass at the top, but they do seem to help tame the noise of my 1GM.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I like Sailing Solutions, they have some interesting products. I think that you might also look a Sound Down -- which I believe is the market leader in this product group. https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=9345

You can probably get them a bit less expensively if you shop a bit. (Try Defender, for example.) I'd use the pin anchor system -- it keeps the insulation where you want it much better than just using adhesive. Also, there is a foil-faced tape that you use to seal the joints with and the edge of panels (as in where you cut and expose them at the.access panel or other edges.)

Sep 10, 2012
Hunter 450 Gulfport, Florida
I had seen them advertised somewhere as I remember the pin locking, definitely worth investigating.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
In a new installation, the adhesive MIGHT work (I think it would have a better chance if your engine space is never hot and you are in colder climes). However, if you aren’t stickinf it on clean, virgin surfaces, use the pin approach