Tiller Auto Pilot

Gilc

Mar 21, 2018
ODay 25 Kent Island
Any thoughts on an autopilot for the tiller? Raymarine St1000 has good reviews with a 5 star but would still like to hear thoughts from those who may have or have used autopilots for tillers. Pro and Con? This is for an O'Day 25' a real sweetheart of a sailor.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I moved up to the 2000 as it wasn't that much more money and wanted one with a little more strength after reading some reviews of the 1000. Been very happy with it and it has handled over 90% of the situations I've been in with the 26' Macgregor,

Sumner
=================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
I have an ST2000, it oscillates quite a bit, someday I suppose I will open a manual and see if I can fix it. The Raymarine autopilots seem to be viewed with suspicion by the SSS (single handed sailing society) types. Who single hand tiller boats to Hawaii (admittedly tough duty) they prefer the Pelagic autopilot, which isn't as pretty but seems reliable. Webb Chiles singlehanded a Moore 24 I think from SF to the Caribbean via South Africa using the Pelagic.