Engine hour display on tachometer not working

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Yanmar 3YM20, about four years old, new panel when the engine was installed. Panel has tach with digital hour meter incorporated just below it. Panel also contains ignition switch assembly.

When I pulled into the marina yesterday, I went to record engine hours after shutting down. No readout. Tried again last night, nothing. The meter should run whenever the switch is on. When I turn the switch on, I still have the warning buzzer, but no meter. Tach still runs fine, registers throttle changes as always.

I pulled the panel, as my mechanic said it's just a wire off the switch. All wires coming off the ignition switch (total of 4 or 5) look fine at the ignition switch end - the connections are good, terminals are tightly fastened and uncorroded. At the tach end of those wires, they all disappear into a rectangular plastic plug. I gently pulled on the plug, and it would not come out. I suspect I need to find a release point with a small flat blade screwdriver to get it out.

Here are my questions:
1) Is there anything special about getting that rectangular wiring plug off the back of the tach?
2) When I pull out my voltmeter, what should I be checking? I've not pulled out the technical manual yet, as I am typing this at the library, and my 3 digital copies of the manual are all on the boat.

Any additional troubleshooting ideas are appreciated.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Have the same engine. This is an ongoing problem with that particular panel. Mine will come on intermittently and shows the correct hours. Search the archives. Much has been posted about this. The cure may be more of a hassle than it's worth, however. Better to install a remote hour meter.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Much has been posted about this
:plus:
It seems is it just the LED display "comes and goes". I keep a ships log on overall hours, but when I first start out, the LED display works [maybe cooled]. I quickly right it down when I see it.
___
I looked to add another, but not worth it.
Jim...

PS: Mine is Volvo Penta with same problem.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
This is an ongoing issue with the VDO tach's, (mine too ) If you google VDO hour meter not working (or versions ) you'll find lots of fixes, not sure if any actually work.....

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Many posts on this board on this issue. Suggest doing a search.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Went back through the archives, tons of info, no real fix. I'll be rewiring an old hobbs meter already on the boat, or buying another. After reading, I guess I should be grateful mine ran for more than 360 hours.