spiniker or whisker pole for jib

Nov 9, 2017
Hunter 23 857 Hendersonville
Have a Hunter 23: Kind of new to sailing. Boat on slip at large lake in Nashville. Took out last week and saw about 8 sailboats all in line with spiniker's heading from a Yacht club across the lake. I noticed that as I was sailing near them I had to tack a lot more. than they did

Read article that if I a whisker pole on a jib that I would use it more and it would be more economical than a asymmetrical spiniker when heading somewhat down wind.

I do not race just cruise but I do like those pretty colors of their sails.

I am though a novice sailer.

Any suggestions most appreciated as to choices and/or sizes of either as well as suggestions for a novice like me on what to do

Thanks so much

Scott

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Pretty colours do not a fast sail make. As to colours, we are partial to orange. Nothing rhymes with it, and there's something to be said for that. :) For suggestions; go sail the boat. Lots. Play with trim, read, watch, try to keep up with the locals, and when you see the locals working very hard to stay in front of you, smile and go buy a big kite.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
When going down wind you are gibing not tacking. Going dead down wind is slower than angling off a bit

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
A Spinnaker gives much better downwind performance, but can be a handful. A whisker pole will let you run straight downwind and help keep the jib stable. You do still need to be careful to avoid an accidental gibe if the wind gets around the main and pulls it over.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
You can sail wing and wing without a pole.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
+1 for what SG said. Sailing well (efficiently) is just like the answer to "How do you get to Carnegy Hall?" Practice, Practice, Practice. enjoy your boat and its current equipment.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I bought my assymetrical spinnaker for my H23 purely for the challenge of learning how to use it and because I think it’s cool as all get-out. Speed was not a factor for me. I still use it on my H260 even though it’s not the right size. It’s still a challenge and it’s still cool as all get-out.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
A spinnaker projects to the windward side of the boat when going downwind, which allows for deeper angles. Asyms rotate to windward, syms do even better because of the pole. You will never be able to sail as deep with a headsail, which is limited to project to windward by the luff being attached to the forestay.

As a result, you'll gybe more under headsail.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I suggest you become proficient at what you have now, rather spending your boat bucks on hardware you don't understand.... If you're interested in racing why don't you go by that yacht club one day and talk to a member or two. They will be pretty helpful and may encourage you to participate.... maybe crew on a member boat in one of their races. That's pretty much how everyone gets started.... and learns what makes their boat go fast.
Now......... if you are not interested in racing and have a "I'm a cruiser not a racer" attitude... then just don't sail over in those areas or guess at what they are doing.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I suggest you become proficient at what you have now,
:plus:
You will want to get a spinnaker, at some point. But, learn and become comfortible with what you got for now and don't let envy empty your bank account or ruin your fun just sailing.

Hey to know you're boat.

- Will (Dragonfly)