Documentation

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Here we go, again. Just received a notice from Maritime Documentation Center out of Billings, MT. https://maritimedocumentation.us/
This has been discussed on this forum before. For those who may be new, DO NOT fall for this scam. The doc center out of Falling Waters, WVA. will send you a notice and you can renew on line for 26$. These scammers want 75$.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I feel so left out. I never get letters from those scammers. lol

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
That are pretty straight forward in telling you they are a third party operation and that they charge more than the documentation fee.
While I agree, that it is basically a scam. I see nothing illegal in that letter or the service they offer. Unless, they use or sell your cc info, which is what I would expect from a service like that.

- Will (Dragonfly)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Thanks. I found it interesting that they offer multi-year renewals. To bad the CG hasn't gotten that far in their development. It would save them big, to institute a 5 year renewal. Oh well, I guess it's a forlorn hope that the USCG would want to save themselves money, make less work and paper work on their end, and simplify things for their clients.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
That are pretty straight forward in telling you they are a third party operation and that they charge more than the documentation fee.
While I agree, that it is basically a scam. I see nothing illegal in that letter or the service they offer. Unless, they use or sell your cc info, which is what I would expect from a service like that.

- Will (Dragonfly)
Got mine in April. Straightforward, yes. Buried in the text, definitely. Intentionally trying to make their correspondence look "official" - absolutely. They should be embarrassed to work for/run a business like that. It is a stretch to claim it is a legitimate "service". They send their mailer out a few weeks before the USCG sends out their $26 renewal letter. It is no more difficult to reply to the USCG renewal letter than to the "maritime" one. The ".us" domain name use is a particularly sleazy choice as well. I rank them right up there with the emails informing me that I have won the lottery in Kenya...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It is no more difficult to reply to the USCG renewal letter than to the "maritime" one. The ".us" domain name use is a particularly sleazy choice as well.
Absolutely, it is all very calculated. Personally, I find it hard to believe it works on boat owners, since, as you point out, the USCG sends their own notice out and the owner had to have gone through the process at least once already. I own an Internet domain and recently got an email for registering it with the search engines so people can finds my site. They worded it like it was official, coming due, and I'd lose my domain if I didn't do it right away. It was even harder to decipher, but the wording was there to be able to claim they were offering a legitimate third party service.
You want to know what I find sleazy? Buying "family" sized cleaners that actually are marked up to higher per ounce prices than the convenient sized middle quantity. Check it out. Marketers get customers use to the larger quantities being cheaper per unit, then mark everything up a little, but the family sized jug gets marked up more. You grab it off the shelf assuming you are getting a better deal than buying the smaller volume. You don't bother comparing because it is the "value" size and you were going to buy it anyhow. They do it with cereal, sugar and flour, rice, detergents. My wife got angry at me for coming home with a dozen of these little tiny bottles of Palmolive dish soap once, because she thought I was wasting money by not buying the giant refill bottles. The side by side comparison took a lot of my time too, because they used different unit measurements and I had to convert.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
You want to know what I find sleazy? Buying "family" sized cleaners that actually are marked up to higher per ounce prices than the convenient sized middle quantity.
I've always been amazed by that one, too. Some stores will even try to obscure it further by showing the price per ounce on one product, and the price per container on another, just to make it more challenging to actually compare the unit price. Sheeze!