Dripless - PSS or Lasdrop

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Now that I've decided from your advice to go dripless instead of repacking my plastic stuffing box, it leaves me we needing to choose which seal system to use. I swear Practical Sailor follows this forum and I'm glad for that. I read one of their articles where they evaluated a few manufacturers, and it comes down to the PSS or the Lasdrop Gen II for me.
Fundamentally, I agree with PS. It makes more sense to use an 'off shaft' seal design like the Lasdrop rather than the 2 o-rings shaft seal the PSS uses. Especially in sandy or silty water like we have. Periodic flushing aside, the Lasdrop may also wear from water like this, but it won't be shaft damage. Also not keen on the shaft set screws. PSS has a nylon vent barb, the Lasdrop is brass. Either the PSS system is expected to wear out or Lasdrop isn't thinking that far ahead, because PYI sells a rebuild kit and I don't see one for Lasdrop .
I get the perception that PYI vastly outsells Lasdrop but I don't see numbers. Better system or just better marketing? Or maybe it's because they just came out with the smaller shaft sizes like my 1" shaft

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Had this discussion with the yard manager and mechanic when I replaced my PSS last year. Their opinion seemed to be that the Lasdrop, while also more expensive, was better suited to the big engines and shafts in the big power boats. Our smaller engines and shafts do just fine with the PYI. Just my $.02.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thanks Roland. Pricewise, I see the Lasdrop for about $50 more than the PSS. That's not a deciding issue for me.
Why did you replace your PSS?

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Thanks Roland. Pricewise, I see the Lasdrop for about $50 more than the PSS. That's not a deciding issue for me.
Why did you replace your PSS?
Developed a drip between the collar and retaining ring. Turned out it was probably a piece of debris but since it was eight years old and I was in for other work, thought I might just go ahead and replace it.

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
As far as I understand it. the seal on the PSS is created between the carbon element at the end of the bellows and the stainless rotor, that is affixed to the shaft. True the rotor uses 2 o-rings but it is affixed to the shaft with the set screws so I cannot see how the shaft could possibly wear with this arrangement.

For the record I have a PSS on order and will be installing it this spring. I based my decision on a positive experience with our previous boat, which we owned for 12 years and had a PSS installed when we bought her.

Matt

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Looks like the vent barb is SS now.
Matt, you are right about the o-rings/rotor spinning with the shaft. The concern PS must have is with the set screws pressing on the shaft. PYI has addressed this claiming that the screws are not pointed.
I get a sense that no one is using the Lasdrop and most people who use the PSS are satisfied with it

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
See the # 3 that is where you I put some very fine sand paper and rotate the shaft allowing
the the sand paper the clean up any unsmooth surface and have done this once a year.
I think PSS has a kit to replace O rings and new set screws.
Nick

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
PYI has been using the cupped set screws against the shaft since I bought my first PSS in 2013 or 2014. It came with a SS hose barb as well. Both PSS I have owned on two boats (1" shafts) have performed well. It doesn't leak but does leave the thin black spray line. Mainsail has a photo of the spray line on his website in the article about installing the PSS.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
https://www.passagemaker.com/technical/dripless-shaft-seals

Sure seems to be some concerns about the bellows. Either from damage or fatigue:
The instructions for the PSS Shaft Seal state, "The PSS bellows must be inspected on a regular basis (i.e., no less than at least every six months under most circumstances) and checked for any signs of deterioration (cracks, splits, tears, brittleness, or other signs). Upon any sign of deterioration, the bellows must be replaced. As preventive maintenance, the bellows should be replaced no less than every six years, regardless of its apparent condition."

The Lasdrop GenII doesn't have a bellows. It uses a spring mechanism. I wonder what "servicing" means....:
Lasdrop says of its shaft seals, "The Original Bellows and Generation II models will last as long as eight to 10 years before servicing...The bellows on the Original model should also be inspected and replaced, if necessary."

I'm probably over analyzing this, but right now is the best time to make a decision and not have to look back.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I like the absence of metal springs [spring is really the bellows on PSS] and just inspected my bellows on Sat. Nothing found and looked new!

My 2014 PSS barb is SS.
______
I hooked my purge using a BRONZE adapter per PYI technicians. Since I don't like an open line in my boat, but that is just me.
I too am afraid of silt build up, especially since I have to use reverse sometimes in a muddy area. Since I purge my seal and engine cooling with new water. Here is a picture of my hook up for continuous purging.
PSSPruge.png

Jim...

PS: 3.7 years of flawless operations.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Why no mention of the Volvo dripless..... I have on my boat and so far love the set-up. Greased it at beginning of season and not a single drip...

2A1CF05C-3F2C-4932-950E-33C870B020A4.jpeg

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
PSS. They come with a stainless barb now. The best investment is the retaining collar, if for no other reason than some peace of mind.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The Volvo wasn't in the list. Then again, the article was written in 2000. PYI changed from plastic to SS since then. They also started selling the retention collar. I don't think I'd install the PSS or Lasdrop without one. Since it's a 2 piece part, you can add it without pulling the shaft again.
No one here seems to have the Lasdrop. I may be the first to use it and keep track of how it holds up.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
The Volvo is what I have in mine, burp it at launch and a little grease at the same time. No problems.

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
The Volvo is what I have in mine, burp it at launch and a little grease at the same time. No problems.
I also have a Volvo seal in mine, first year I had it, no problems, last leaked about every second day, (about 1/2 quart a day), it will be replaced this spring and I'm looking at a PSS. Great thread!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I pulled the trigger and ordered my Lasdrop Gen II from Go2Marine. On sale it was $330, free shipping and no tax.
They have been in business since 1975. They just haven't been making kits for the smaller propshafts. I think they suffered on market share because of it. My "here today, gone tomorrow" concerns were relieved.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I would say the collar reduces the chances, for sure.
The seal set screws are double set to prevent unloosening. The collar is a shaft retainer, but adds additional protections.

The solution is to install the PSS properly, per manufacturer's procedures, good inspection program and maintenance.

I even have a back up for a bellows leak.;)
Jim...