straightening a bent plastic jib spar

Feb 22, 2014
macgregor 26M home, Mesa, AZ
I have several minor bends in my spar which makes furling difficult. Can I heat the plastic jib spar to straighten it or is it likely to break?

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Is it any good as it is? If not, you have nothing to lose. I'd try a heat gun and gloves. Warm the plastic where you want to bend it. Hold it in position until it cools. Try the next spot.

Ken

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
I don't know if I'd use a heat gun. If it's a CDI Flex Furler, it's made of PVC which will burn if you get to boisterous with the heat gun But, a hair dryer on high would most likely do the trick. (Maybe heat gun on low?) Another way would be to put it in boiling water. Either way, when it gets pliable, and it will, clamp it lightly to a board and let it cool slowly. Be sure to shim the bolt rope slot so it won't collapse on you.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Assuming a CDI, I straightened a bent one by stuffing it tightly into a several sections of dark PVC pipe and then laying it out in the sun for 3 weeks. The warmth and constant straightness fixed almost all of the bend

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I would try just laying it out in the sun a few days with some weights to flex it back straight. It may straighten. I just lay my CDI foils in the back yard in the sun a week or so before I need to install them. I pin them with a series of concrete blocks. It works fine.