So, I bought a project boat...

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
Back in the Summer I purchased a "new" hole in the water.
1977 Allied Seawind MKII Ketch.
I did buy with my eyes wide open and with a little pro help knew what I was getting into, for the most part.
Seven months in and no regrets or "holy crap" surprises but the refit is now beginning in earnest.
The boat was hauled out last week and is now on the hard.
I'm refining my To Do list for things that need to be done on the hard with the masts down and things I can do on the water.
I'll have a number of questions for the collective
One of the major items will be addressing the seacocks. The boat still has what I believe are the original Wilcox-Crittenden tapered cone valves. A few of them weep a little after use but seal up fine when shut.
Is it worth trying to service these or better to just go ahead and replace with bronze ball valves?

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I took Maine Sail's recommendation and .....

.... installed what he recommended and feel for sure it is the best option. My install is here if it helps ....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-plumbing/plumbing-index.html

Sumner
=================================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Mar 30, 2013
I figured He'd have something, just hadn't quite got there yet.
Thanks.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Congrats on the boat
I find DIY projects to be rewarding and I end up knowing the boat inside and out. Well worth the effort.

Ken

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Back in the Summer I purchased a "new" hole in the water.
1977 Allied Seawind MKII Ketch.
I did buy with my eyes wide open and with a little pro help knew what I was getting into, for the most part.
Seven months in and no regrets or "holy crap" surprises but the refit is now beginning in earnest.
The boat was hauled out last week and is now on the hard.
I'm refining my To Do list for things that need to be done on the hard with the masts down and things I can do on the water.
I'll have a number of questions for the collective
One of the major items will be addressing the seacocks. The boat still has what I believe are the original Wilcox-Crittenden tapered cone valves. A few of them weep a little after use but seal up fine when shut.
Is it worth trying to service these or better to just go ahead and replace with bronze ball valves?
If they are good seacocks (WC seacocks are), I'd just service them.

I have some that are very old on my boat. When you have them apart, check them over for wear, bad threads, cracks. Replace them if there are any problems. Also check the thru-hulls carefully, inside and out.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
WC was one of, if not the best, manufacturer of marine hardware. Lapping those valves should leave you with a better valve than anything available anywhere, at any price, today. If you decide to replace them, I'll happily buy them from you, every single one of them!

Mar 30, 2013
I'm happy to hear the good reviews on the WC seacocks. I've read plenty around the net but this place is my gold standard for the real lowdown. I've got 8 of the things to service but that's a whole lot cheaper than replacing.
Thanks for the info folks.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Servicing them is dead easy, even fun. Especially on the hard.
Just follow the previously posted guide precisely.
After you've cut your teeth on the first one, the rest will be a cinch.
And almost free. Only lapping compound and grease.
BTW you'll have to do this task every year. -Maybe only the greasing part for some of them.

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
WC was one of, if not the best, manufacturer of marine hardware. Lapping those valves should leave you with a better valve than anything available anywhere, at any price, today. If you decide to replace them, I'll happily buy them from you, every single one of them!
Dammit, you beat me to it! ;-)