Vestas 11th Hour Racing in collision.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Behind Scallywag, Vestas 11th Hour Racing and Dongfeng Race Team were battling for second until Vesta informed race control at approximately 17:39 UTC that they had been involved in a collision with another vessel approximately 30 miles from the finish.

The crew reports to be safe, and while the damage is said to be limited, they appear to be struggling on the tracker, giving way for Dongfeng to take second.
No report of who 11th hour collided with.
How exciting! :clap::dancing::wow3:

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
So Dong Fong is second. They have become my favorite underdog outperforming expectations which were fairly low for them.
I'll be interested in getting some details on the Vestus situation. Did they have to drop out?

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
DATE: 2330 UTC

Vestas 11th Hour Racing has retired from Leg 4 following a collision. The team is proceeding under its own power to Hong Kong.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
So Dong Fong is second. They have become my favorite underdog outperforming expectations which were fairly low for them.
I'll be interested in getting some details on the Vestus situation. Did they have to drop out?
I my understanding was that Mapfre and Dong Fong were the two top tier boats with Vestus in the second tier.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I think at the outset of the race from Spain, Brunel, Mapfre and Vestas were the favs. But I could easily be wrong since I didn't follow the pre race hype very much.
I do like to see the podium appearances mixed up a bit.

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
Current information is that a member of the 10 person crew on the fishing boat has died as a result of the collision. I have not seen any facts around the cause of the collision, but in the early hours of the morning going at 20 knots in pitch black there will be plenty of blame to go around. Bad news for the family of the deceased, the owner of the fishing boat, Vestas, Volvo, and the poor crew of that race boat.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I’ve been on both sides of this; Focused on the lead and speed; cruising and accosted by a fleet of racer maniacs sucking up RoW. I have also participated in other racing venues, skiing, auto, motorcycle and bicycle. In all those race events there is a designated crew that sweeps the course of hazards and people. For years I rode a motorcycle that lead a series of bicycle race pelotons clearing the course of cows, cars, and people, providing radio comms to race officials concerning the state of their course.

I never see that kind of organization and safety provision in sailboat racing. They just fire off a gun and everybody goes for it. So what happened to Vestas and the fishing boat is entirely predictable. I realize you can’t clear the entire southern ocean, but you can damn well clear one of the busiest waterways in the world as your fleet approaches Hong Kong.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
I think the Vesta's crew, owners and the race committee will all be facing a huge liability. Having these boats race into a crowded harbour at night is crazy.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Back to the radar reflector thread from a few days ago.
Oh no. Please don't bring back the Channel Markers thread!
That's a pretty big hole in that hull. No doubt the watertight bulkheads kept it afloat. And the mast stayed up! These boats are supposedly light (I don't really know how light) but they are pretty damn strong. Wonder what the fishing boat looked like.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Twenty miles out from the entrance to one of the worlds busiest harbours you would think there would be more on deck than a trimmer and helmsman.(!?) You known that Vestus has all the latest radar,AIS etc. All that said Vestus was on a starboard jibe and the target was hidden behind the foresail. Even at 20knots it's hard to believe no one on either boat saw it coming.
Accident Investigation will be interesting. Will/can Vestus be repaired before Feb.1?