chartplotters

HD74

Dec 27, 2016
Hunter 340 Pickwick tn
Would like to get a chart plotter for my sailboat. Currently I have all Raymarine equipment including wind, speed, depth and ev autopilot. Does anybody ne have any experience with Raymarine chartplotters. Next is it possible to use Garmin or B&G chartplotters with this set up thanks for any help

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
HD keeping your gear within a common manufacturer minimizes conflicts. A Raymarine chart plotter is need to update the software for your EV AP, or a good friend with Raymarine chart plotter. The Raymarine new Axiom units are getting a lot of positive reviews. They have increased the speed of the chart plotters so there is less wait time.

Charts for Raymarine are one of the 3 propitiatory systems meaning you have to subscribe to an annual service to have current charts.

That said, you can operate your equipment with other manufacturers chart plotters as long as you convert the signals from the sensors to NMEA 2000 signal and connect them in accordance with the chosen chart plotter.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
I have a Garmin 840xs unit talking to EV-100 AP and other Ray units under NMEA2000 with no problems

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
My Raymarine MFD with chart plotter is great. My a98 is same size as an iPad.
Raymarine has an APP to use with the iPad as a Remote unit, so I can use my iPad to chart when below too.
Jim...

PS: Almost 2 yrs using the a98. No problems.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I have an older 12" C120 Raymarine chart plotter and it works great. Last summer I ran into a much wealthier boater with the latest touch screen chart plotter and he was envious of my old system. Claimed the touch screen was not user friendly, particularly when wet. I have no personal experience with touch screens. Perhaps others can comment.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Claimed the touch screen was not user friendly
Yeah I thought that too, at first. I was not accustomed to the "finger gestures".

It took me a while, but now it is faster, easier, and even a blinding rain did not cause a touch screen issue. Mine is 2016 vintage.

Once set up, it is really great addition.
Jim...

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I've operated a number vessels with a wide variety of Raymarine plotters on them and I wouldn't spend the time installing one if it was given to me free.
It is a good point that it is better to stick with one manufacturer if one wants to network all the gear together, but that still wouldn't be enough for me to install a free one. I'd just have my chartplotter as a stand alone unit, which is fine, too.
Our Garmin 3010 is over ten years old and still operates flawlessly, and as a charter boat we probably use it something over 150 days a year. The 3206 in the our aft cabin acts as a tattletale for the one on the pedestal ("Hey slacker, yes you on the helm, you're two and a half feet off track. Get your act together!"), and it's 8 years old.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The deal with the touch screen is misunderstood. I have one, but I don't use it like my phone or even my tablet. Swiping, pinching, tapping... are all moves we're used to on our day to day tools... I've found on the chart plotter that I will use tap mostly... rarely pinch and swipe just to cue the drop down menu.
What I use a lot is the +/- button (rather than pinching)... just like you would on your button equipped unit. Tapping any place on the screen will locate the cursor... giving a lot of automatic info.. such as distance, heading, etc. then touching the +/= icon centers the screen on the new cursor point, then expands or contracts,,, there's no swiping or pinching to move the screen. If it's wet, you can lock the screen to wipe it off or minimize accidents. Things we do like measuring distance on a smartphone app are much simpler on a touch screen chartplotter...You don't have to switch into "measure" mode, you simply tap the landmark you want info on. With the old, button style chart plotter, you had to maneuver the cursor with the direction buttons or a knob...
Actually, these habits were developed from using the previous button style gps and chartplotters I had for many years. So you can use most of the old moves you did on the button/knob machines... and still enjoy the conveniences of a touchscreen through tapping.... identifying AIS targets for example.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I've operated a number vessels with a wide variety of Raymarine plotters on them and I wouldn't spend the time installing one if it was given to me free.
It is a good point that it is better to stick with one manufacturer if one wants to network all the gear together, but that still wouldn't be enough for me to install a free one. I'd just have my chartplotter as a stand alone unit, which is fine, too.
Our Garmin 3010 is over ten years old and still operates flawlessly, and as a charter boat we probably use it something over 150 days a year. The 3206 in the our aft cabin acts as a tattletale for the one on the pedestal ("Hey slacker, yes you on the helm, you're two and a half feet off track. Get your act together!"), and it's 8 years old.
I will always use Garmin over Raymarine, based on my experiences with the warranty support at both companies.

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
We have a C-125 Ray and love it. Bought the non-touch on purpose. Didnt want greasy
fingerprints all over the screen.
People comment that a 12" screen is unnecessary. It is great for split-screen, which I use most of the time.
Not one problem with any of my Raymarine instruments. Customer service is ok as long as you know how to get past the first batch of knuckleheads.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have a Garmin 740 chart plotter. My stem was never integrated...Raymarine autopilot, Tac tic wireless wind, no AIS.

Last year, I replaced the VHF to one that supports NMEA2k, has built-in AIS, but no GPS. I networked the VHF and Chartplotter via N2K, so the CP can display AIS targets, and the VHF knows my GPS coordinates in case of an emergency.

I may upgrade the wind to Garmin, then the only thing to figure out is the AP. I hear that upgrading to EV-100 AP may allow all components to talk via N2K.

Greg

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Navico (B&G, SIMRAD, Lowrance) has plotters that work really well in wet or rough weather as touchscreens, and some models also have functional manual controls if it's too rough, you're wearing heavy gloves, etc. Take a look at the B&G Zeus series - they are optimized for sailboats.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Be careful of starting in the middle of a "decision matrix". Everyone probably likes whatever brand of plotter they chose (and spent big $ on) anyway.
Before you get to that purchasing point you need to start with devices actually intended for use on a binnacle mount on a sailboat, i.e. a few inches above or adjacent to a steering compass.

You will find, studying the install instructions and warnings for these devices, that most insist on a "compass safe" distance of about 19 to 39 inches. This is because most (but thankfully not all) were designed for the wide dashboard tops of powerboats and have a POWERFUL permanent magnet installed to hold the chart chip door shut.
Some do use a friction catch, and are safe to use on a typical sailboat mounting situation.
Our Lowrance 9" plotter (with radar overlay) is in this group.

Our local electronics store let me borrow several new plotters (carefully... in their protective plastic) and take them to our boat where I could hold them in their intended mounting position. The ones with the magnet pulled our compass card (!). The folks at the store said they warn customers about this risk, and remain dismayed that the manufacturers built such unneeded risk into their equipment. (and then depend on the buried fine print in the install docs to shield them from lawsuits).
As they say on the internet: "Big Sigh...."

So, as the aged knight told Indy, "Choose carefully"
:(

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Both my SIMRAD NX-45 and my current B&G Zeus are right above the compass on my binnacle and don't bother the compass. I've also done several Lowrance installs and they are OK, too, as FastOlsen said.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
My e7D from Raymarine doesn’t bother it either. It does have a magnetic door. Not a strong magnet though.

A buddy installed a EV100 pilot —- now that does twist the compass something impressive.

Mahalo

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
First thing you need to confirm is that your wind instrument is integrated with the autopilot. If not, please do it. My advice is to get an Axiom. You want to have a Raymarine chartplotter to allow full autopilot control. It is not only software updates but also the ability to control the autopilot from the chartplotter. If you mix and match with other vendors, you will be able to pass waypoint info from Garmin to the the EV autopilot but then you still need to go to the autopilot control and hit Track. On an integrated Raymarine system this extra step is unnecessary.