Replacing Raymarine E26031 Speed/Temp Transducer

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
i’m replacing my transducer due to Failed paddle wheel and temp sensor. Plan on using old wiring, cutting new wire off and connecting with butt connectors and heat shrink tubing. Any reasons why this shouldn’t be ok?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
It will work for the paddle wheel and 50/50 on sounder. If it was me I’d pull the wire from new transducer

Les

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Cutting the old and reconnecting will work, but likely to cause more resistance. If at all possible, use the old transducer wire to pull in the new one. The problem may be the size of the end connecter if you are tryin to pull through a conduit

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
If you trace wiring back to the breakers and the wires on my 36 was easy under floor and find the
wires from breaker go to the gauges and mine go to the gauge above companion way if that is your setup.
I tied into the wires around the breakers and have not seen any problem and pulled the old wires
from old transducer up to the breakers with new transducer wires.
Off to boat and putting windlass back on.
Nick

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Nick: Was the old wire tied to anything? Mine should connect to the ST60 at the helm. Is there something in between that ties them together.? Seems like I remember a box with NEMA tied into it behind the nav station panel - is it connected to that? Has 5 wires.

Good luck on your windlass.

I’m wanting accurate temps too. Has anybody here just spliced the wires and got accurate (after calibration) speed from paddle wheel and temp? I have another depth transducer (sonar) and don’t rely on this one for depth.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Any reasons why this shouldn’t be ok?
Jerry, I replaced an Airmar DST800 Analog Triducer (Raymarine p/n A22154) last month. I would have dearly loved to use the new cable but try as I may I could not get the old wire to budge. It was secured under the cabin sole in at least several places and it was also secured behind the bullheads to the display head. I finally bit the bullet and cut the cable. Airmar requires the use of their splash proof junction box (Airmar p/n 33-035) or the transducer warranty will be void. I contacted Airmar and asked about splicing using various methods. They responded recommending that I use an Airmar inline cable slice. Here is an example of a 6 wire splice that you could use. It is very small and very easy to put together. Rated IP67
http://www.imarineusa.com/AirmarD00218H.aspx

So in summary use the new cable if at all possible otherwise the splicer will keep your Airmar warranty intact.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Did you notice any resistance issues on temp and speed that you couldn’t calibrate out?
No not at all. Everything is good. Temperature is very straight forward. Calibration of the speed is somewhat subjective as the transducer is certainly not linear over the full speed range even for a sailboat. I have it set for exactness at my 6.1 kt cruising speed and live with the inaccuracies at lower and higher speeds. The one thing I was more concerned about was integrity of the RF shielding on the depth sounder cable, which you do not have; but, even that seems to be a none issue.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Thanks to all. I’ll first try to use the new cable, but if not, i’ll Splice using the connector. Thanks for the input. This place is great!

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I was able to run the new wires of the new transducers up to the breaker panel and than splice the wires at that spot and was able to trace the wires going to my gauges above the companionway and I think the wires go to the chartplotter.
Jerry where are you depth or speed gauge.
I did change both my transducers and added sonar to chartplotter but a year later sent the sonar computer back to Raymarine but no go and do have a second depth at the helm and did run wires up to helm.
Nick

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Nick: My depth and speed are at the helm next to my chartplotter
night chartplotter.jpg
, so the wires shoul feed just like you say. I may go to the boat today and take a look. I move it to Tennessee next weekend and it will be 15minutes from home in a week and I plan on fixing this this winter.
See photo -depth/speed is top left hidden by the wheel. Do you remember what breaker your sensor was connected to?
Happy Thanksgiving!

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
The breaker is for power and should be marked I think instruments.
But you will need to follow the transducer cable from under the floor to the area around the main panel and in mine all the cables go to a junction stripe plug in for power and the wires that go to the gauge at the helm and there is a pvc pipe that runs along the port side and hard to see where it is and need to look with the 2 panels that hold all the breakers flipped open and down.
In that area I was able to locate which cable is which and that is where I spliced the new with the old.
Nick
My gauges are right above the Companionway and did add a depth gauge at the helm which was not easy running the cable up the port side stainless pipe going up to my C-80.
Nick