Americas Cup

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Nope. No way no how. I can only count the number of seconds before some power boater comes by and clips one of those things off. I would also suggest that using them requires constant attention - just like flying a hull on a cat. While great fun, it is not what the average person wants to spend their time doing every time they go out. Sure, I like a boat that is fast, but having to balance it on the raged edge of wipeout is just not going to fly for the average guy sailing.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
Sure, I like a boat that is fast, but having to balance it on the raged edge of wipeout is just not going to fly for the average guy sailing.
I'd have to agree on that point but were talking about the future. All that is taken care of automatically. You just enjoy the smooth ride over the wave tops while sipping your favorite beverage. Until production on large scale makes it affordable, it will remain an expensive toy of the sailing elite.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
automatically. All well and fine until something outside the bounds of the software comes along. Like that ever happens.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Hey fellas, you'd get a LOT more women to go sailing with you if the boat didn't "tip" so much, or spray water on her make up.
Yep, I like this innovation. Next time around for me though, I guess.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
automatically. All well and fine until something outside the bounds of the software comes along. Like that ever happens.
Not so different than the latest model cars where they steer themselves, keep up with traffic, track 5 or 10 lengths behind the car in front, and brake before you hit the back of a truck. All while being mass produced. You have to pay attention and understand the systems but overall a better driving experience as long as you are a suitable pilot.

Aug 1, 2011
Yeah, like the rental car I had a couple of weeks ago. The car wouldn't let me put it into a parking spot. Nice software. I don't want this in any boat I own, ever.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I don't think this will ever be mainstream. That is like asking if everyone will be driving the latest version of a formula one or NHRA dragster. Racing maybe but not standard or recreational transportation.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
The one that goes with me likes things just the way they are. One is more than enough, thanks.
I'm also with the right one, but the tales of woe from so many about their wives not wanting to go out with them, because the boat tipping scares them, was my point. I just phrased it wrong. Sorry.
And so many more on the woman's sailing pages that insist on cats because of the tipping, too.

Aug 1, 2011
@capta , my intent was not to suggest that they particularly enjoy the boom in the water scenario, rather that the degree of scariness should not be dictated by the electronic technology. This business of appendages hanging out at all measure of odd angles doesn't look very good, and adds a significant degree of break-ability to the equation. The ability of an AC cat to do a 180 on a proverbial dime almost requires crew restraint. Can you imagine how that would go over? "Oh it's ok, hon, the boat won't heel at all, here, put this 7 point harness on so we can tack." yeah. right.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I agree with some of the reasons why this might not be “the” future of sailing, but I do think it can be a part of the future. Not every race car innovation is “the” future of cars... plenty of people will still buy SUV’s, but eventually things like antilock brakes get adapted.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Hey fellas, you'd get a LOT more women to go sailing with you if the boat didn't "tip" so much, or spray water on her make up.
Yep, I like this innovation. Next time around for me though, I guess.
Well... my trimaran is at least twice as fast as my 272, and it stays flat. My wife loves it.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Not every race car innovation is “the” future of cars...
In fact, most racing innovations take a long time to get off the race track. Look at concept cars rolled out at car shows. They often get great responses from their car show audience, yet you never see that car on the show room floor the next year. Pieces of it, ideas from it, but rarely does that super futuristic, sleek, all the latest tech, machine go into production.
Racing is a great place to explore and innovate but it is not a good forum for introduction to mainstream ownership.
It would be interesting to see a high stakes sailing race that had two criteria: the entries must be sail powered only, they must be able to cross an ocean and back with 6 crew. Whatever you can design to be the fastest, crew accommodating vessel that can sail an ocean is fair game. What would that do for innovation?
How about another race, just like the first only a third criteria, the vessel must be able to be manufactured in a production shop at a middle class affordable cost, depending on the current economy at the time of the race, say around $150,000 new (Not that it has to be a production boat, just that it can be) .
There and back, up wind and down wind.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 1, 2011
End result is still the same. The trickle down to the third owner lake sailor with the hi tech foiling boat to keep the admiral happy ain’t likely to happen in the lifetime of most of us....

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Well... my trimaran is at least twice as fast as my 272, and it stays flat. My wife loves it.
As I did my Searunner 37, which I sailed from Pago Pago to the VI via the Red Sea and the Med. Best ocean cruising sailboat I've ever sailed.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
This is an enjoyable read but brings home a point that I have have noticed on this forum. If the second post is negative then everyone jumps on the negative band wagon. Hell, 30 years ago I read articles saying some guys named Gates and Jobs were wacko saying every wacko in the country would have a computer! Embrace you old farts, if not for you, for your grand kids. Twenty years ago old guys were asking "you" why you had that damn electronic autopilot on your boat. I look forward to these innovations trickling down, just like those that are keeping us old farts alive.