Florida's boating season is kicking into high gear.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Looks like a nice sail.... I'm jealous.

.... did you lose some battens?

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Looks like a nice sail.... I'm jealous. .... did you lose some battens?
Yes, Now missing 3 of the 4 battens in my main. I need to get them replaced asap. I don't know how they are coming free of the pockets as there is an overlapping flap. Last one flew out when we were taking the sail down last weekend. I came up into the wind, and we started dropping the sail when it just flew out of the pocket and went overboard.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Here at Lake Havasu we can say the "Sail" boating season is kicking into high gear since 90% of our power boating friends stay home until April.:waycool::waycool: If your boat is on a trailer come on down. A bunch of our friends are showing up for a week, in mid February, for some fun sailing and maybe a party or two.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I don't know how they are coming free of the pockets as there is an overlapping flap.
Deep in the batten pockets of the mainsail on my Mac there's a piece of elastic fabric sewn into either side of the pocket, providing tension against that overlapping flap.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Yes, Now missing 3 of the 4 battens in my main. I need to get them replaced asap. I don't know how they are coming free of the pockets as there is an overlapping flap. Last one flew out when we were taking the sail down last weekend. I came up into the wind, and we started dropping the sail when it just flew out of the pocket and went overboard.
So if someone could make battens that float... :doh::thumbup:

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
You can always use a bit of sail repair take to close off the batten pockets.

Cheers

Matt

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
I need to replace the missing battens in my main sail asap.[/QUOTE]
Yep and tightn the leach line

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
You are so right. We plan to leave this Friday after Turkey Day and stay out until Wednesday. Sleeping should be great with temps in the high 50's low 60's wind 10 to 15.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
So if someone could make battens that float...
there was a time when they made those things out off wood. I would think bamboo would work really well. For emergency replacement a heat gun can flatten a piece of pvc pipe. That could get you by 'til you ordered new ones.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 30, 2017
Catalina c 27 Lake Pueblo
Plenty of room on the Gulf side!

I have to admit to a bit of jealousy, having lived in that area, Cedar key and the Crystal-salt river loop were two of my favorite sea kayaking locations. I always thought the trip between the two would be awesome for an extended trip in the sea kayak but never pulled it off.

(I didn't sail at the time... but when we bought our boat cedar key was one of the first places I looked up. Since we are now in Colorado that's probably not going to happen anytime soon)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
As a kid living aboard in Clearwater, our family made numerous trips to Cedar Key. They had the best key lime pie at the restaurant at the end of the pier. Now, it looks like a touristy t-shirt shop. No key lime pie.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
You guys are making me jealous. I just hauled out today. I remember the best sailing was in winter on Apalachee Bay.