Power take off

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
uni.jpg

Most boaters don't have a power take off on their engine so I thought I'd post ours. We had to change a belt so all this has to come apart just to get to the belt.

All U Get

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
And some of us have never heard of a power take off. So we might not have a clue as to what we might be looking at. Or for.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
What is your PTO driving?
For those who are not familiar, a PTO is common on tractors where the motor does double or triple duty: drive plus accessories like mower deck, snow thrower, back hoe, etc.
I can imagine some cool stuff to drive, but the weight!
Also, is yours belt controlled and have variable speed separately controlled?

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
The picture looks like its driving a hydraulic pump for a thruster?,,, just a guess that would be a real PITA to change the belt on that thing.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Actually a gear driven raw water pump is a type of PTO. The tractor version of most engines has a hydraulic pump or some other power device mounted there.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Kermit @JamesG161
Frog man. When you had yur boatee up here working on it at the mountain top with me, I guess you were slurping in those nats and other bugs with your long green tongue ignoring that orange thing called a TRACTOR which has a PTO.
James hit it on the nail while we drank coffee but I guess you paid no attention to the orange thing called a TRACTOR while continuing your slurping of bugs.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Whew! I guess we dodged a bullet not having one of those on this boat. Hydraulics for a thruster?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Fixed and moving south tomorrow. This has been a project spanning our 7 years of ownership. I got some great help putting the pieces together of how this is supposed to work.

All U Get