Extendable bowsprit poles - advice

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Does anyone have experience with these gennaker poles, made by Selden or Forte?
In particular, do the aluminum ones work OK, or does one have to spring for the more expensive carbon fiber ones?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Have owned both, Selden and forespar. Aluminum is fine. It’s a weight thing.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Thanks Jackdaw. That’ll save me a good chunk of change.

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
Look at Selden's website and check the loads and the unsupported length you want, to make sure you buy the correct size. They work nicely and keep your lines clear of "things".

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
I'm planning to install an aluminum one from Selden over the winter.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
A friend is happy with the Trogear one, too. I have a link to some install information if needed. That design avoids attachments on deck, but also avoids having a hole in the bow section for a retractable pole. It's clever and seems to work well.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I copied mine after the Selden unit and used their bow ring as a starting point.
IMG_0521.JPG

Aug 1, 2011
Nice job there, Meriachee!
It was crafted at home based on the Selden ring, which requires a 3" tube. Building in aluminium is easy, but the home grade "toy" equipment isn't very capable at stainless. My blog posts listed below show the construction if you're interested.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
I copied mine after the Selden unit and used their bow ring as a starting point.
View attachment 142158
Looks good.
Did you reinforce that anchor roller in any way? I'm going to use the Selden 90 degree pole fitting attached to the side of my anchor roller but have not yet installed it. My concern has been the added leverage of the pole pulling up on the anchor roller so I am planning to add some reinforcement to that. Just wondering what you did and what your experience has been.

Aug 1, 2011
I had a shop build a u shaped stainless gusset bracket to fit inside the flange with the existing holes in the port side of the roller stay pin. Then I bolted the whole works together, and immediately found the measurements were too tight and the pole touched the furler drum. So I simply moved the whole works so one side of the gusset was outside the mount. The kite is about 20% bigger than anybody would recommend, and is intended for use in the windy season here (that's where we spend days looking for the wind) but seriously, is limited to 10kts. With the home crafted top down assembly, it has so far worked like a charm.
I have heard many bad things about using the locker hatch as a mounting place, and I used pretty big backing plates, but my experience has been that there is almost no load back there at all, and what is there is lateral. Any vertical load would be just that. The kite pulls up on the pole, and the back end of the pole is pushed down.

Just like anything, you need to pay attention to the intended use, and set realistic limits on use. I would never fly this kite in 20kts, and the premise of "protect the boat" implies that if the limits are not respected, stuff will break.