Tiller large sailboats?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Really love the simple easy systems of my O'Day 25 but would be interested in a larger cockpit and cabin with 6' standing headroom. Not hard to find but like the subject says I'd like to look for boats with tillers. Which models in larger family boats should I look for?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
You can convert wheel steering boats to tiller. For example, my Tartan 3800 has an emergency tiller access that would be perfect for a permanent tiller with the steering binnacle removed. You'd need a long tiller, though.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
This Elan 31 (Humphreys) is nice. Good boats.

bletso

Aug 20, 2013
Globe 38 PCB
I have a Globe 38 cutter/ketch tiller steered. Love it. She is also not a light weight boat weighing it a 32000 lbs!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
You'll want a boat with a large cockpit if you bring people on board. One of the things I always disliked about the Mac26 was the "fire drill" whenever we tacked. Everyone can stay put with the wheel.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
You'll want a boat with a large cockpit if you bring people on board. One of the things I always disliked about the Mac26 was the "fire drill" whenever we tacked. Everyone can stay put with the wheel.
True in the olden days.

Modern boats with balanced (and sometimes dual) rudders can have shorter, easy to use tillers. Like the Pogo's, 30, 40, or 50 feet. 40 footer here.

9_355a8f5d85_zpsa3f44ebc.jpg

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I actually didn't set a budget on purpose, because dreams and thought experiments need the room to grown:)

I am new here, but I also look forward to Jack and CB input because they pick such amazing boats. Great feedback from everyone, I have expensive tastes, but drive a Dodge truck, so go with that!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
John,
After a Catalina 30 caught my eye with it's 8' long cockpit, I have been reading up on them. Looks like the earliest years had tillers and some up to 1986 as wheels became an option.
While I'm weighing the pros and cons of moving up to a larger boat, I'm undecided on whether I would rather have tiller or wheel steering. On our 25 I'm finding myself getting more and more annoyed with the tiller and the room it needs to swing but I do enjoy the direct feel of the tiller.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I mostly forgot that the tiller is lift-up-able. I was constantly busting guests knees unnecessarily. All I really needed to do was raise it while tacking. Then it took me forever to learn that a sailboat with a wheel steers just like a motorboat. I felt silly turning the wrong way.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
J/35 can use either a tiller or a wheel. Don't recall if there is standing headroom though. Great boat. Considered it very seriously before I bought the Beneteau but could not deal with the seven foot draft in the shallow/variable mud puddle we sail in.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ward, The Catalina 30 is a sweet boat. Ventured onto one in Roche Harbor last May. Owner loved the boat. Lots of features and would be a bigger boat (in some ways) than the ODay25.
The practical side of my brain always wins when I get seduced by the images of "Bigger is Better" boats. I read once, that the way to buy a boat is not about the gadgets or bright shiny things it has on it, but what it will do to take you to the places you want to go. So first define where and what it is you want to enjoy then go out and find the boat that fills that need.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Jeanneau Sunfast 3200 & 3600

You did say to ignore budget...... :biggrin: