Another ethanol petition

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I am in too. Rhetorical question: If the General Aviation community is able to keep this crap out of their fuel, why can't the vast American public?

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
I am in too. Rhetorical question: If the General Aviation community is able to keep this crap out of their fuel, why can't the vast American public?
I think the AOPA has had a lot to do with it plus the fact that it has taken the FAA almost 20 years so far to approve a replacement fuel for 100LL just to get us a lead free fuel. Last I read they are still a ways off and that is fine with me.
Since there is really no federal oversight or regulation with boat motors like there is with aircraft motors we don't have anyone of power watching our backs so they can pour all the corn syrup in the fuel that is allowed.

Sam

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I don't see any evidence that marine fuel will be blended above 10% ethanol with the industry stating it will cause problems. So you need to buy your fuel at the fuel dock not the gas station. My 22 y.o. Pickup truck runs ethanol blended fuel no problem. Thousands of gallons, no problems.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I'm surprised a bunch of sailors don't know the futility of 'pissing into the wind'. This is a purely political (read - bigmoney/lobby) issue over which we are little more than background noise.

For those to whom this is a problem, your choice is fighting the above or finding/using readily available e-free fuel sources virtually everywhere. Pick one!

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
It is my understanding that there are a few issues with the ethanol. First we all know that it attacks fuel lines and some tanks. But for small outboards, like under 8-10 hp, the aluminum corrosion that it causes due to absorption of water clogs the small internal passages. Larger engines have larger passages that are not affected as quickly and they also use more fuel so water doesn't tend to collect and cause damage. And it is not just outboards- the ethanol also plays havoc with all the small engines around your home- string trimmers, leaf blowers, chainsaws, etc.
I have a friend who owns a marina on a lake near me and he claims that the small 4-stroke engines are even worse because the fuel passages are even smaller than the 2-stoke carbs. He claims the only successful way to clean those 4-cycle carbs is with an ultrasonic cleaner.
I have switched to ethanol-free fuel that I buy in a neighboring state for my outboard and all of my small engines. To date, no problems. For the 5 years prior to switching, my 3.5hp outboard was extremely unreliable. My wife wanted me to toss it overboard!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Same here, Rich.. here, I can buy ethanol free at Murphy Oil stations in town (many Wal Marts have one in the same lot).. I use it for hurricane fuel storage (15 gallons, about a year to turn over) and all small engines, two and four stroke.. It really has eliminated carburetor problems in the little ones.. The problem really is the lobbying group of corn farmers..

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
The problem really is the lobbying group of corn farmers..
I'll agree to the lobbying but wouldn't say farmers. The shortage of corn for feed pushed the beef and pork prices up so I wouldn't say the farmers brought this about. Its hard to follow the money. However there is a lot of discussion in this state about banning those round bales of hay.

All U Get

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
I'm surprised a bunch of sailors don't know the futility of 'pissing into the wind'. This is a purely political (read - bigmoney/lobby) issue over which we are little more than background noise.

For those to whom this is a problem, your choice is fighting the above or finding/using readily available e-free fuel sources virtually everywhere. Pick one!
Where are these sources in So. Calif?

Based on Thinwater's research, I am having good luck with BioBor EB in my outboard. But apart from buying TruFuel at Home Depot at exorbitant cost, I'm not aware of these ethanol-free sources that are "everywhere"--at least out here.