Deck connectors

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
I'm looking for better replacement deck connectors for my solar panels. We trailer the boat for trips, and I have to remove one of the panels for trailering. Currently I'm using these Perko deck connectors:

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=15341

Not real happy with them as the connections loosen up and "watertight" is a bit of a joke.

I came across these Aquasignal connectors with some forum searches:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|328|2289944|2289946&id=680929

Are they as good as the price seems to indicate? Is there a better and less pricey choice? Thanks. This seems to be the place to ask such questions.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Thx, but don't want MC4's. I cut them off. Needs to be a deck connector feed thru.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Those look good for running a wire through, but I want a connector mounted to the deck that I can plug into. It needs to be weatherproof. The Aquasignal connectors seem to fit the bill, but wonder if anyone has used them and can recommend them, or if there's a cheaper alternative that will work well.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Trailer connectors with grease are cheap and reliable. The other s have let me down too many times.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Just a follow up. I ended up ordering one of the Aquasignal connectors from Defender. It is a seriously nice electrical connector. It's a made in Germany, solid locking, weatherproof, o-ring packed and gasketed connector rated at 250 v 16A per pin. Worth the price?? It is comparable in price to similar weather proof type military spec connectors, so I guess you get what you pay for. So I'll try it on one of my panels that had the issues with the existing connector. I can also see using one on the mast light wiring when that one fails again, as I know it eventually will. I seem to only get 1 or 2 years out of a Perko type connector and we are sailing mostly on fresh water! They never seem to fail when it's a convenient time to fix them.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I have used the Deltran trolling motor plug a few times and it is one of the best I have seen for solar, far better than the Marinco type. Usually I just use a Scanstrut deck gland, round wire and MC-4's..

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Thanks. Both look like good options. That trolling motor plug is just what I was after. I did already get the Aquaseal connector and will probably use that for the first panel. When the existing plug on the second panel starts to look iffy, I'll revisit this again.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Tried those for my solar hook-up, couldn't get the crimped end far enough into the plastic housing to connect male and female. Snipped them off after fussing for an hour and went with butt connectors. Not worth my time to learn how they work.

All U Get

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Tried those for my solar hook-up, couldn't get the crimped end far enough into the plastic housing to connect male and female. Snipped them off after fussing for an hour and went with butt connectors. Not worth my time to learn how they work.

All U Get
Are you talking about MC4 connectors in general, or these bulkhead connectors?

I used MC4's for my solar connections, worked easily and beautifully!

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Last edited: