What do you suppose happened to this Mk II?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
This popped up on eBay this morning: http://www.ebay.com/itm/253102907290?ul_noapp=true
http://www.ebay.com/itm/253102907290?ul_noapp=true
"General Description: This 2001 21.6' Catalina 22 MKII Sailboat submerged when center board was in down position and made contact with an unidentified submerged object causing the centerboard securing bracket to come loose dropping the centerboard while underway causing the centerboard cable to break the cable tube before the cable parted. The vessel took on water at the tube. The centerboard was not recovered".

And further down, "The swing keel and securing brackets were not recovered"

It sounds like the keel hangers failed catastrophically, and then the keel - dangling by the lifting cable - snatched the winch loose and FUBAR'ed the volcano? :yikes:

I wish the seller had posted some pics of the actual damage. There is something to be learned here. Must've been one hell of a grounding!

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Gene, click on "More Pictures" just below "Item Specifics"....pics of the damage show there...

I was expecting to see the weldments torn out as well as a big chunk out of the bottom forward in the keel trunk and at the volcano...not so.

Actually looks quite fixable for someone with some talent like a Cloud Diver...wonder how long it was submerged, and what parts of that model are wood cored? 2k for a keel, some parts & labor, back on the water....(oh, and a bit of electrical work!)

I'll bid on it for you (not to exceed $10), you pick it up, and do the work in your spare time, eh? (you need another boat!):laugh:

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
General Description: This 2001 21.6' Catalina 22 MKII Sailboat submerged when center board was in down position and A TOTAL LACK OF PREVENTIVE CARE AND MAINTENANCE causing the centerboard securing bracket to come loose dropping the centerboard while underway causing the centerboard cable to break the cable tube before the cable parted. The vessel took on water at the tube. The centerboard was not recovered".
fixed that.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Lack of maintenance indeed.

Simply based on the photos, it might be simple enough to repair and get on the water. If the bids stay low it could be a bargain once completed.
Marine plywood, a new keel, wiring/electronics, weldment repair, sail repair +
Considering what other people in this forum have done, or are doing, fixing it up could make more sense than an early model with wood coring below the water line etc. Especially with a mk2's higher value.

Sep 30, 2013
I'll bid on it for you (not to exceed $10), you pick it up, and do the work in your spare time, eh? (you need another boat!):laugh:
Haha, yeah, not me pal!! I'm on my LAST project, unless I hit the Powerball this week. Come to think of it, if that happens I'm buying a brand NEW boat. One of them big ol' fancy ones, with a toilet and a shower. And I'm never, ever going to work on it myself! :dancing:

Sep 30, 2013
The Mk II sold for $138 dollars. Not a bad start for someone who wanted a project. :)

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
yikes...if one has the time and patience, part it out and make 10 fold+++
or as been said nice project boat....