OEM Hunter 120 VAC Wiring—Romex?

Oct 19, 2006
Hunter 27-3 Brownsville, VT/Mystic, CT
In the last 13 years since we got back into sailing, we have had three boats. On all of them I made upgrades and improvements ("there is nothing – absolutely nothing – half so much worth doing as simply messin’ about in boats"), including 120 VAC shore power and 12 VDC systems. In all of the electrical projects, I heeded the advice I read and coughed up the cash to use ABYC/USCG-approved, tinned copper stranded wire suitable for marine use.

We now have a new-to-us ’07 Hunter 27-3. She came to us with a much higher level of features and conveniences, but I’ve already completed a slew of projects to customize her to our needs, whims, and requirements, including electrical upgrades and additions. In the course of exploring all the nooks and crannies, I’ve discovered it seems to me that all the 120 VAC systems use regular old solid copper 12/2+G Romex NM cable. The kind of cabling I have in my house.

Does this sound right? Obviously, it’s less expensive for the builder to opt for this wiring, but it wouldn’t be ABYC/USCG-approved, would it? Can manufactures “get away” with using this “inferior” wiring? Should I infer that I will need to replace it all at some point?

Crazy Dave, your input here would be much appreciated.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Yes Hunter did use Romex and no it doesn't meet current ABYC/USCG standards.
BUT, if it was legal at the time of manufacture, it's grandfathered in for owners.
Doesn't make it good wiring on a boat but it's still legal.
As soon as I can find an electrician who has ever re-wired a 30+ year old boat, I'm going to have mine redone.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Please educate me. I just re-wired my mast and so prior to deciding what wiring to use, I made myself a free 5 day membership in the ABYC and downloaded all the standards I could on subjects I thought I may need as I go through restoring my Hunter.

ABYC E-11 "AC and DC Electrical Systems on Boats" does not state anywhere, that I read, that you have to use tinned copper wire. Section 11.14 SYSTEM WIRING talks about the requirements for wiring, but I don't see anywhere that mandates tinned wiring.

As far as the wiring being Romex, I guess you'd have to look at what it really is. If it's the standard Romex, which is actually covered with PVC, that I believe is what is no longer acceptable. At least from what I can read in the standard.

But I'd really love to hear from those that know a whole lot more than I do...

dj

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Marine grade wiring I used marine grade only. First double sheathed and stranded so it will bend easier. I never used house hold wire as it in many cases single sheathed and not stranded plus it was more difficult to work with. I even had seen a time or two folks using old wire taken out of old homes from the WWII era which was aluminum. I walked away from working on those boats. A photo from @VT Fitz would help to see what exanctly he has

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Ordinary NM type cable is primarily for wood frame building construction. It is not even permitted in damp areas. Its chief advantage in wood frame dry construction is ease of installation and easy termination on screw type terminals such as found on typical switches and outlets used in buildings. Solid wire is not suitable for crimp connections such as found on typical boat device terminations. If some fool put this in a boat it should be removed.

Oct 19, 2006
... A photo from @VT Fitz would help to see what exanctly he has
I'm probably going south to the boat on Sat night or Sun. I'll get a picture soon.

In the meantime, Dave, on my '07 H27-3, do you know what Hunter was using for 120 VAC wiring?

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Hunter Marine's use of NM cable (if true) was undoubtedly done to recklessly save money in the construction of new boats. If the management permitted this then I would worry about the whole boat's quality. If the management claims that they were unaware then I would still worry. What other unsuitable materials are in this boat? What other corners cut? Hunter Marine should rectify this defect on all affected boats (recall) or bear the condemnation of the entire marine community. What say you Hunter Marine?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
There are other cables that look like NM cables - we obviously don't know what the OP boat actually has.

dj

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
My factory AC wiring is not Romex. Looks like it, but not solid core copper. It's stranded. FWIW. Also, the AC may have been dealer-installed.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The old Hunter Marine has been gone for some time RoyS and found they were nmma compliant to the hilt. We are not sure about the wiring which is why I requested a photo before we go condemning Hunter or anyone else. I found in investigating, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Does your electrical panel etc match the information presented in the owners manual? It looks like ac electrical was optional on your boat as it was on ours. Initial installation was done on ours by the dealer which comprised a jack which allowed an ordinary outdoor home extension cord to be plugged in - not very impressive.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I taught the small dealers how to wire and always said NMMA compliant products. Better safe than sorry. Twalker H260 Send me a photo of what was put in and who installed but not on this forum.

Oct 19, 2006
As Emily LaTella on the old SNL used to say, "Never mind."

I apologize for stirring up a hornet's nest with a completely off base thread.

image.jpeg

As the picture clearly shows, it's boat cable. The jacket made it look like Romex to me, but I should have exercised a little patience and waited till I could examine the markings before starting this thread.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Kevin... And it is 10 AWG... pretty hefty stuff to carry a bit of current.

Your home's kitchen probably only uses 12AWG. Your house lighting uses 14AWG.

It is all good. You stirred up the hornets nest for a bit.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
As Emily LaTella on the old SNL used to say, "Never mind."
I apologize ... ... I should have exercised a little patience... before starting this thread.
Not picking on ya, but as Pogo once said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us". :biggrin:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Loved Pogo... That line was form the 70's, talking about litter. But is works for so many situations. It is timeless.

Oct 19, 2006
And it is 10 AWG... pretty hefty stuff to carry a bit of current.
I think that's the main coming in to the panel. The other wires seemed smaller, but that one was the easiest to take a picture of. I think the circuits are 12 gauge.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@VT Fitz
Thank you for the photo. I was already aware of the wiring but never stop questioning. It is better to know for sure and be safe is my motto. Twice in my career I refused to work on boats that idiot owners installed to save a few bucks. It was aluminum wiring taken from homes built during WW II used on boats. It has no respect for copper. One other thing, there is no stupid question when it comes to boats. Many of us preceeded you in this. Enjoy your boat.