If you can't do this you aren't a sailor. ;)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I learned to do that once- Nice bar trick....
Never found a time/place/situation where I would do it on a boat when I needed one fast. And if you miss you start over from scratch.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
Still, looks like one to practice at some point, if only to impress the guys at the bar.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
I've been practicing this, in my mind. But it's much more rewarding fixing the nasty dock cleat tie offs that my newbie crew guests make.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I've been practicing this, in my mind. But it's much more rewarding fixing the nasty dock cleat tie offs that my newbie crew guests make.

I keep practicing this on real cleats on real docks. So far I've learned that soft dock lines work better, old stiff lines don't work very well. Also, cleats with curved horns (see the ones in the video) make it easier to wrap the line.

So far I can get 1 or 2 wraps on about 50% of the time. Can't get the locking wrap on yet.

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
Had a dockhand do this tying us up on our cruise south a few years ago. Thunderbolt Marina, Savanna area. He moved nothing but his arms. He then spent the time to teach my wife how to do it.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
So far I can get 1 or 2 wraps on about 50% of the time. Can't get the locking wrap on yet.
So if I could do the first couple wraps on a dock cleat, can I still be considered a sailor without doing the freehand bowline? I would still like to impress the hot chicks too! Can I have both?

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Well I do feel blessed then. Up hear in the Long Island sound / block island area I see nothing but hot chicks on sailboats.....

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
In my experience it's more IQ level and interests.... not hotness, which decides stinkpot vs sailboat.
I prefer the sailboat ones, especially if they can tie knots. :D

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
That's like saying if you don't flip liquor bottles around in the air (ala Tom Cruise in "Cocktail")... you're not a bartender.... rubbish.