Changing Apparent Wind Direction/Speed meter w/o changing inputs.

Jul 20, 2017
Ericson 29 Muskegon
I recently purchased my first boat, an older 29' Ericson. The Moor AWS meter does not function. When I connect a voltage meter to the input cable (5 pin round) I do get readings from the mast. One pulses at the same speed as the cups, and another changes slightly as the boat rocks in its slip with the changes in wind direction. Can I use another brand of meter without changing the instruments on the mast?
Thank you very much.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
DI
You may have found that Moor is no longer in business. (http://www.moorelectronics.com/) The did list a repair shop on their website. You might inquire with them.
No info as to how old your Ericson is or if you have any other displays available.
Raymarine makes the iTc-5 converter. It takes an analog signal like that you are seeing on your volt meter and converts it to a digital NEMA2000 stream for use with Raymarine MFD's on a SeatalkNG system. If you have other electronics it might be a solution. It is designed to do this conversion with multiple analog sensors (i.e. depth, wind, etc transducers.) Not cheap but a solution.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
+1 on the ITC-5 - I have one for the wind instruments and a DST-800 (depth, speed, Temp) -- I bring the data out on a couple of I70 displays, but any SeatalkNG or NMEA 2000 programmable display (or MDF) will do (JSSailem uses his P70) -- I could also display single items on my Fusion Radio Remote..

Les

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
While the itc5 is a good solution, the question becomes one of calibration. If the converted messages are not what the display expects, it may work, but the readings may be out to lunch. There's probably no easy way to tell.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Good point on calibration - you'll need a Raymarine display to calibrate and a Raymarine MFD to update firmware.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I dunno Les, the i70 really only displays what it's fed. There are two considerations, one that the translations may be whacked because the resistance or current or voltage drop is way off, high or low, and the other, more sinister one, if the thing is a pot and they used a log one instead of linear or vice versa.

If the display is lunched, then at the end of the day, really the simplest solution is an upgrade. At least that way, it'll work properly without needing to get a bunch of add on's and converters and power cables and on and on.

The good news is that you're right, the i70 can pretty much do it all. Great toys. One wire.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hey,
I would be very surprised if the Moore wind instrument could drive a Raymarine display. But I have been surprised before.
Barry

Jan 14, 2020
Cal 29 Mass Southshore
I have a AWS too. The MOOR site shows resources that offer reasonably priced repairs for the display units and parts are still offered. I would be very skeptical of using a "good" analog masthead transducer with most high tech (digital) meters.
You say the meter does not function but you have signals from the masthead. Not sure but I think the windspeed function is independent of 12V power to the meter (AC generator which is then rectified). The relative wind function requires a 12V DC power source. I would try to get a better view of the signals from the mast unit by use of an oscilloscope if possible. Popping the meter case apart to see if a component has failed is quite feasible and testing the DC meter function too if you have a technical friend. These are sensitive meters though.