Reefing advice

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
I have a 1984 Oday 28. It is my first boat with reefing lines that run from grommets in the leech (the reefed clew points) thru the boom exiting forward by the tack where the boom connects to the mast. The lines (along with the outhaul) come out the bottom of the boom and have pivoting latch-like cleats that bend from horizontal to a 45 degree angle to put pressure on the lines - they hardly feel like they will be strong enough to resist much pressure. Is this normal?

At the tack area of the sail luff, the forward most reef points are grommets with a very short piece of strap-like material holding another ring. See attached photos. When reefing, the ring clips onto the angled piece of metal (don't know the proper name) to keep the reefed tack point engaged. The sail has 2 reef points. The problem I have is that the 2nd reef point tack grommet's strap is too short to reach the angled fitting that is supposed to keep the tack in place. All my sail stops are tightly down so I cannot gain any space there. I guess I need a new strap that is a bit longer. Does this make sense? Where can I get a strap like that or do I just use a line with a bowline loop on the end?

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
It sounds like you are using reef hooks for the tack. When the sail is down, can you pull the 2nd reef ring down to the reef hook? When the sail is flaked down, I can grab enough cloth to pull the ring down to the hook. Even though the slides are stacked up. But I have an O'Day 322.

I assume the boat is not set up for single-line reefing?

I personally don't like single- line reefing(at least on my boat) as I can't seem to tension the tack and clew evenly. I added reef hooks for the tack and use the reefing lines for the clew.

Greg

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
I do not know what single line reefing is. It may be what I have. The line comes from the clew thru the boom to the tack. The 2nd reef ring does not reach the hook even though the sail is flaked, the sail stops seem to imposing the length issue not the sail.

Jan 7, 2011
Single line reefing uses a reefing line that runs through a ring or block on the tack, then down the boom (can be internal or external) to the clew. Tightening the single line should pull both the tack and clew down to the reef point. Sounds great in theory, but I have not been happy with it on either of my past 2 boats. Seems like it pulls the tack way more than the clew (at least on my set up). Other people swear by it.

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
Single line reefing uses a reefing line that runs through a ring or block on the tack, then down the boom (can be internal or external) to the clew. Tightening the single line should pull both the tack and clew down to the reef point. Sounds great in theory, but I have not been happy with it on either of my past 2 boats. Seems like it pulls the tack way more than the clew (at least on my set up). Other people swear by it.

On a single line reefing set up, you would not use the reef hooks at the tack. The reefing line would go through the ring on the web strap you have on your sail. Or you would have a block on the ring, and the line through the block.

Greg

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Those hooks are also called "ram's horns". It is a common fixture for reefing, The sail slugs shouldn't impede your ability to hook the ring to the horn. If it does, perhaps the sail slug stopper is too high up the track. Another thought is that the position of a sail slug in relation to the ring might be too close. On my sail, there is no problem pulling the ring down to the horn for the 2nd reef. Perhaps the sail has been improperly fitted for the 2nd reef. There should be no reason why you can't hook the 2nd reef without modification of your existing setup.
Those cleats should hold. Sail pressure increases the grip on those cleats in just one direction. Single line reefing is a system where a single line controls both the clew and the tack. It is an innovation that is supposed to improve convenience. Many find that the friction losses through multiple sets of blocks makes the system ineffective. It's a matter of personal preference and equipment quality. Good blocks with small diameter, high strength lines will tend to work much better than old, fat, fuzzy, stretchy lines in any system.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
How much more do you need to get the 2nd reef strop hooked in? If it was me I would tie a piece of line in an appropriate sized loop through he strop's ring to extend it's length.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
As for the pivoting latch cleats, that sounds like the OEM design, and it should be adequate. Your description sounds like what we had for many years holding the topping lift, outhaul, and reefing line. None of them ever slipped.

Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
If I could add a question to the OP's topic...

We have the same setup on our Hunter 33.5. We have two reefing points and therefore two straps, and both straps have aring at each end.

Should both rings be hooked on the rams horn or is it sufficient to get one hooked on? I can easily hook one ring on, but the ring on the other end of the strap can be a trick. It seems to me like it would be best to have both rings hooked on for better balance of forces.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I only hook one side. I'm not even sure if it is feasible to hook both rings on the horns (obviously, you can't hook both rings on the same horn because the sail material is in the way). If it is possible, then that will be something new (to me) learned for today! :biggrin::biggrin:
I always just assumed that there are rings on both sides and horns on both sides just for the option, depending upon which side is easiest to access. I haven't ever tried to bundle up the sail material to get both rings hooked on each side of the boom. It seems to me that the sail bundled on one side of the boom or the other makes it infeasible to hook both sides.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Just one side. Haven't met a boat yet where the strap was was long enough to connect both rings.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Randall
You know before sail makers stitched fancy straps on the sail luff, there was line and a hole. You just put a reinforced hole in your sail where you wanted it (usually a stitched on ring). You dropped the sail to the ring, ran a line through the ring. Secured the line around the boom and voila you have a new reefing tack. Do the same with a ring on the leech, haul the luff up snug, and suddenly your sailing with a 2/3rds main sail reefed.
Necessity is always the mother of invention. Thus the fancy reefing straps. Just some sail makers appear to be skimpy on their straps.

Here are a couple of images.
Hand sewn Ring for Reef in sail
handsewn_ring.jpg
Line holding sail reef.
images.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I have been on boats where ya had to "spill" a coupla/three slugs to get the second reef in.. spill them before ya start any halyard manipulation.. put the gate back.. then proceed with the second reef..

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I have been on boats where ya had to "spill" a coupla/three slugs to get the second reef in.. spill them before ya start any halyard manipulation.. put the gate back.. then proceed with the second reef..
I have to do this on my O'Day 31 to get the second reef point down to the ram's horn. I have the same setup as you have Randall.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
jssailum: I am much impressed with your hand sewing expertise! It is almost lost. Sailors pay attention to the technique he is employing! Chief

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
I have to do this on my O'Day 31 to get the second reef point down to the ram's horn. I have the same setup as you have Randall.
thanks, I figured that would work, my track slot stopper is secured with a pliers so that would be a pain in rough seas to have to loosen it. Might it not be easier to get another ring to attach the second reef point tack ring thus extending it the one inch that it comes up short?

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
thanks, I figured that would work, my track slot stopper is secured with a pliers so that would be a pain in rough seas to have to loosen it. Might it not be easier to get another ring to attach the second reef point tack ring thus extending it the one inch that it comes up short?
That could work. Or an extension of the reef cringle strap. I put a wing nut on my mast gate so it is easy to undo.