Trying out a new toy ( for us)

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
IMG_20170525_163643209_HDR.jpg
We don't overnight much at all,in fact not at all last summer. So I am way over charged up about our Sat. night on the hook plans for this weekend,but of course ... The Damn Weather!!! So we decided to borrow a kayak from the kids to paddle around the anchorage. We have both canoed before so should be fun. I'm gonna be holding my breath in the admiral getting in and out on the stern ladder with the boat squashed up against the rudder.! If all goes well and we enjoy I will probably start looking at a Sea Eagle tandem inflatable .Advice,stories welcome.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I've heard good things about those Sea Eagles, FWIW. Sister has one she paddles around Detroit yacht club.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Wear a life jacket. Stability is not the hallmark of those small kayaks. Prepare to get wet in any chop. Best tested on a warm day in shallow water.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Kayaks tow easily. We used one a few times. You will never have a problem getting the "motor" started! Put a whistle on your lifejacket too.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Good quality inflatable kayaks are really neat! We have 2 as well as the dinghy. Fun! Chief

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
We routinely ( well,without fail,actually) wear inflatables on the boat . Will be digging out the old blue and yellow buckle ups for tryouts though!

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Speaking of inflatable kayaks and canoes, we have a Sevylor Colorado that we use on the boat and on local lakes. (Sevylor calls it a canoe but it paddles like a kayak.) It has lasted us 7 years so far and is still in great condition. It's quite rugged and paddles nicely. Check it out.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
So we have had and used sit-on-top Kayaks for about the last 10 years on our lake in Colorado. Great for a getting around the marina on a summer day or a quick trip to the marina store for Ice, beer or fuel. We'vve even used them for a late night rum run but that is another story. It does take a little getting used to for getting in and out from the dock or boat but once in actually not too wet, unless you want to get wet.

One thing to note, we have a mix of rigid and inflatables, the only issue with the inflatables is the setup/breakdown, while not hard, does require some work, where as launching my rigid is taking it off the boat/dock and putting it in the water.

Do be very aware of the water temperature where you paddle and were appropriate gear. During the hot summer months we always carry the PFD since its too hot to wear and gets in the way of swimming on and off the kayak.

Have fun

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I've heard good things about those Sea Eagles, FWIW. Sister has one she paddles around Detroit yacht club.
Nice suggestion! I decided to order one, so I'll let you know how it works out. If I like this one, I think I will then order the tandem model. That way, Sue and I can decide on a whim if we want to tandem or solo! Both should be easily stored in the boat.

BTW, there is a great deal on these if you order by end of June.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
I got Cindy a 11 foot inflatable SUP to keep on board that she loves. It is not nearly as stable as her rigid board but stores in the boat easily. We have had more laughs watching friends try to use it.
I fly fish off of it in the evening. Talk about a core workout, keeping my balance while casting is a real trick. I have gotten wet more than once doing that.

Sam

Oct 26, 2008
I got Cindy a 11 foot inflatable SUP to keep on board that she loves. It is not nearly as stable as her rigid board but stores in the boat easily. We have had more laughs watching friends try to use it.
I fly fish off of it in the evening. Talk about a core workout, keeping my balance while casting is a real trick. I have gotten wet more than once doing that.

Sam
I was looking at the SUP also. Are you talking about the Sea Eagle brand or some other?

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
No, I got her a Solstice Bali sup.
Solstice Bali Stand-Up Paddleboard (10-Feet 8-Inch)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004...addleboard&dpPl=1&dpID=415M6OHiDkL&ref=plSrch

It is going on its 3rd season and doing great. We inflate it to 5 psi and store it in the basement during the off season. I use a 12 volt air mattress pump to get it to 1 psi then use the hand pump to get it to 15 psi. Just take a few minutes and she is off exploring.
Best part is it fits nicely under the starboard cockpit bench in the cabin.

Sam

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Are these SUP, especially inflatable hard to use? We have my son's hand made canoe on our bow, it is only 28 lbs but is 12 feet long. So on the bow it goes from all the way forward to just before the forward head portal. He uses it around the marine and has followed us on the lake once when we were just putting around. Right now we take it off the bow before going out but I won't mind carrying it for longer trips then the few hours we have been going out.

Oct 26, 2008
Scott,which model did you order?
I ordered the 330 Pro Solo. I consider it a trial. If I like it, I think I will get another and it would be the 370 for a little extra length that Sue and I could use tandem if we want. That would give us plenty of flexibility. If I really like the 330, I will consider the 385 and possibly set it up for motoring. We'll see how it goes!

Nov 26, 2012
As some of you will remember: my wife and I spend Jan--April every year fishing the Colorado river in Arizona. We have owned inflatable kayaks for 15 years or so and have Express Element kayaks at the present (Amazon). We own both a 1 and 2 man unit. These are nice kayaks and about 5 years old. Electric pump makes prep easy. The quality varies with each brand so be careful. 13th year fishing the Colorado this next Jan.
I must inform all that Sea Eagles are not well regarded as they are not very rigid and sit too high out of the water. Your center of gravity on those style seats is high and that is not good as well. You want the boat around you not below you. Chief

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2012
Check out AE1007 Express Elements or other inflatables on Amazon. That looks like a nice kayak. Blow up floors can pose a problem if not very thin. Elevates you up too high with the fat air seats in many models. My friends wife was scared of the Sea Eagle as she was afraid it would tip over. A good blow up kayak is much harder to tip than a plastic hull one and very stable. Chief

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
As some of you will remember: my wife and I spend Jan--April every year fishing the Colorado river in Arizona. We have owned inflatable kayaks for 15 years or so and have Express Element kayaks at the present (Amazon). We own both a 1 and 2 man unit. These are nice kayaks and about 5 years old. Electric pump makes prep easy. The quality varies with each brand so be careful. 13th year fishing the Colorado this next Jan.
I must inform all that Sea Eagles are not well regarded as they are not very rigid and sit too high out of the water. Your center of gravity on those style seats is high and that is not good as well. You want the boat around you not below you. Chief
Nice review and I would concur with your thoughts. Before ordering, I checked with the following review to verify that the Sea Eagle would be my choice.
http://bestreviews.com/best-inflatable-kayaks
I generally go with higher quality in principal, but the additional length and weight of the Advanced Elements was the main drawback, not to mention it is twice the price. If I were using it on the Colorado River, I might consider it (or something more substantial). We will use it (them) to transport from the boat to the sandy beaches that surround Barnegat Bay and other locations on the sandy mid-Atlantic seaboard, so stability in a current really isn't an issue. I see that there is an up-grade in the seats that is available for the Sea Eagle. I will do the trial with the standard seat. If I purchase the larger tandem model, I'll get the 2 premium seats for a slight upgrade. It is interesting that these reviews can't be completely trusted. Their recommended model "best bang for buck" is merely the cheapest model (by far) even though they imply that it isn't a very good kayak.