When's the Best Time to Leave...

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Are we talking june july august and letting you know it's real hot and the rainy season
will be starting soon and hurricane season starts in june

Nov 12, 2009
J/ 32 NCYC, Western Lake Erie
We left mid-September. We travelled at a brisk pace but still spent lots of time sightseeing and visiting friends along the way. We were in Coco Beach for Thanksgiving and Marathon for Christmas. You can find our trip blog at
tartan372.blogspot.com

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
We left mid-September. We travelled at a brisk pace but still spent lots of time sightseeing and visiting friends along the way. We were in Coco Beach for Thanksgiving and Marathon for Christmas. You can find our trip blog at
tartan372.blogspot.com
Thanks for the link to your blog. It looks like it will be very helpful in my getting a feel for what the journey will entail.

Sep 2, 2011
Are we talking june july august and letting you know it's real hot and the rainy season
will be starting soon and hurricane season starts in june
No. I was wondering how late in the summer I could leave and still miss the cold weather.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I made dozens of trips up and down the ditch some years back. I never really cared what the weather was because other than a very few places it's a narrow sheltered waterway once you reach Norfolk VA, going south. Keeping your eye on the hurricanes that may threaten is easy enough that close to land, you could even pick up TV weather reports with rabbit ear antennas. I figure, in most cases, you'd have at least a 72 hour warning of an impending storm, plenty of time to find a sheltered anchorage or marina. Maybe even a place that would haul the boat for the storm.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Be in the Chesapeake by mid-October, breezy and the water is still warm, 'cane season is winding down but you still have lots of options to haul-out if necessary. Head south from Norfolk VA first week of November and you will quickly reach warmer waters as you drive south. It is easy to stay warm, much harder to stay cool, scary to be living aboard and facing a hurricane.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Be in the Chesapeake by mid-October
I agree with Gunni. Depending on where on Erie, that may be the roughest part of your trip. Are you going the SLS or the Erie Canal? Give yourself at least two weeks to cross the Canal, if that is your route - there is a lot to see along there and it is a shame to take it too quickly. Likewise, when you get to the Chesapeake, make sure you take some time to enjoy such places as Annapolis, Oxford, Solomon Island, etc., on the way down to Norfolk/Portmouth. Usually, on these trips, the trip is as much the point as the getting there...

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
lol once left Annapolis after the boat show and headed south. October I think. Damned near froze a few times til reaching Georgia. Before that, was on deck in full winter gear.

Had a lot of smart asses in trawlers slide the door open to pilot house wearing jeans and a tee shirt, and wave a cup of coffee at us. I waved back, sort of :)

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I have left after the Annapolis sail show for the last 6 years. Inevitably, I see a bit of cold weather for a few days with lows in the 40's. But generally pleasant weather. Oddly, almost every year, there is a nasty bit of bad weather around N Florida around the 1st of Nov

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I have left after the Annapolis sail show for the last 6 years. Inevitably, I see a bit of cold weather for a few days with lows in the 40's. But generally pleasant weather. Oddly, almost every year, there is a nasty bit of bad weather around N Florida around the 1st of Nov
Should mention- the year I refer too, had sub freezing weather in Florida for Christmas. Ice on my anchor chain !! And freeze damage all the way to Canaveral

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
If you get out of the ditch and sail the coast you will generally find warmer conditions offshore. Proximity of the Stream. You can wave a happy welcome to the trawler boys as they arrive in St. Augustine!

Sep 2, 2011
If you get out of the ditch and sail the coast you will generally find warmer conditions offshore. Proximity of the Stream. You can wave a happy welcome to the trawler boys as they arrive in St. Augustine!
Exactly what I intend to do!