Sunpower Solar Panels?

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 50 Seattle
About three years ago I installed four Renogy 100W bendable solar panels on my hard dodger. Maine warned against their quality so I ordered 7 to get 4 that were well matched and returned the rest. I installed them in a 2S2P configuration and they've worked well but the polymer coating is now degrading in spots to the point that it's affecting output. Fortunately, Renogy seems willing to refund my entire purchase price under their 5 year materials warranty. Kudos to them.

Now I"m in the market for new panels and decided to go the rigid panel route. I've got room for 72 cell units (about 80" x 42") and I'm looking at Sunpower's E-series 435W units. I'd put two on the dodger, port and starboard and wired in parallel and the panels would cost about $1000 total. I've confirmed that my wiring and charge controller will easily accommodate the operating voltage and current these units, as I thought I might go this way eventually when originally designing the system. The rub is that Sunpower won't warrant any of their panels if installed on a boat. Is this an issue with most/all panel suppliers? If not, is anyone aware of other suppliers without boat warranty exclusions and comparable power output and cost?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I've used a Kyocera 135W rigid panel for 6 years with no issues. I don't remember what the warranty was, and fortunately, I didn't need it. I plan to upgrade this year to the Kyocera 250W panel, so I can keep my Torqeedo outboard charged.

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 50 Seattle
Thanks, Tom. I'm not actually too concerned about the durability of the panels themselves, assuming no manufacturing defects. I think all the manufacturers have figured that out. With proper mounting, I can also ensure that the panels are sufficiently supported that the motion of the boat isn't an issue either. My bigger question simply has to do with warranty coverage in the case of a (probably rare) manufacturing defect resulting in output loss, moisture incursion, and the like.

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 50 Seattle
Just to close the loop, I bought the Sunpowers and so far, so good. I mis-spoke above and they're actually 128 cell units, not 72 cells. They're designed for large-scale commercial power installations (solar farms) so they don't require much mechanical infrastructure. The frames are 1.8" deep and very stiff, so they only require four 1/4" - 20 mounting screws. I ended up making some standoffs out of G10 rod that I drilled and tapped for the screws and epoxied down to the hard dodger. The panels are up and happily turning photons into electrons into cold beer. They operate at 75-80 volts and produce usable current much earlier and later in the day than the old Renogies. Each one is angled down from horizontal by about 3 degrees so I get almost no pointing benefit up here at 48 North but I've seen a max power of 600W from the system. Very happy.

Also, Renogy did in fact make good on their refund without any arm wrestling. I have to say that their customer support is outstanding.