Reefing with a continuous line furler?

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
On my 1983 H31, I have an older Hood continuous line furler. I am wonder what is the correct method for reefing the jib with this type of furler?
I am worried that it will slip, and shake the reef out if I just cleat the furling line.

Thanks for any suggestions.

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
I used to have a Pearson 28-2 that had an old Hood continuous line furler. I believe Hood's position on that one was that it wasn't supposed to be used for reefing. Nevertheless, we did so all the time by cleating the line, and it never let go.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
On the cleat tight and never had it slip on a Pearson 36-2

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Drilled a 3/8" hole and added a pin works good when used at port before head out of in protected water but a pain to line up in rough sea

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Drilled a 3/8" hole and added a pin works good when used at port before head out of in protected water but a pain to line up in rough sea
Do you have pictures of this modification?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Another vote for cleating works fine if wound correctly. I've thought about replacing the horn cleat with a cam cleat but haven't gotten to it. It works as is.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
My experience on an O'day 28 was that the Hood continuous line furler worked just fabulously with a horn
cleat on the coaming on ea. side of the cockpit. Never a mishap except human mistakes...Pat

Dec 13, 2010
Hake 32RK Red Bank
not the same sail but I have a code 0 with continuous line furler and the line goes through a set of double blocks with cam cleats...never slips and both ends are fast when you cleat them.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
not the same sail but I have a code 0 with continuous line furler and the line goes through a set of double blocks with cam cleats...never slips and both ends are fast when you cleat them.
Do you have a picture of how this is set up?

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
I found another great tip for reefing with a continuous furler on another forum. This person's furler would slip even when cleated, so he added a short line with a snap shackle to his forstay attachment point. Then, once he had the jib reefed, he would clip this line to the tack on his jib where it attached to the furler drum. this kept the furler from spinning and losing the reef. It does however require a trip to the bow when reefing or un-reefing which could be tough in a bad blow.

Dec 13, 2010
Hake 32RK Red Bank
I suppose if you cleated the lines slack on the drum side the drum could turn. However with the lines both cleated tight the drum has sufficient friction it will not spin
I make sure to wind a couple turns of the sheets around the sail and cleat them tight as well
I have never had it unfurl even in 30+ knot winds.
When in port I also put a sail tie around the furled sail for insurance. Never had it blow out even during storms.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
I suppose if you cleated the lines slack on the drum side the drum could turn. However with the lines both cleated tight the drum has sufficient friction it will not spin
I make sure to wind a couple turns of the sheets around the sail and cleat them tight as well
I have never had it unfurl even in 30+ knot winds.
When in port I also put a sail tie around the furled sail for insurance. Never had it blow out even during storms.
For completely furling this would work great, but for partial reefing where you are pulling on the sheets, it may slip.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
For completely furling this would work great, but for partial reefing where you are pulling on the sheets, it may slip.
Hi Chip, I have always thought the same, but probably not as long as the line that rolls it up is the cleated line. I figure if the genoa can be rolled in without the line slipping in the drum, even in strong winds, it should hold. I intend to give it a go.