Best dog/pet life jacket - pets on board.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
At the risk of starting an anchor thread variation - I'm looking for recommendations as to what people have liked/disliked about pet life jackets, things to watch for, things to stay away from. What brands held up well, which didn't make a season etc.

Will be starting our first season sailing with a furry mate and want to make it as safe and enjoyable for all as possible.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Suggest you provide the make and size of your dog.

Dec 2, 2003
Sure. It's a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retreiver. - a medium size dog, we're expecting a final adult weight of 45-47lbs. Based on his breed we are expecting him to enjoy swimming and jumping off the boat!

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I can't suggest a brand, but I would be sure you get one with a handle. Make handling the dog easier and you might be able to snag it with a boat hook if needed.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I have a couple of Aussies and we got their doggie life jackets at West marine. They do not really like them but we make them wear them because it makes us feel better. The important thing is that they fit comfortably and that they have a loop on the back to you can retrieve the dog with a boat hook.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
In addition to the handle, I'd recommend you get one that has some flotation that goes under the neck in front of the front legs. I observed a dog in the water without that feature and the life jacket tended to raise his body and rear end and force him to work pretty hard to keep his head from being forced down. Just a thought. After you get it put your dog in the water under controlled conditions to make sure it keeps the head above water.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
We have a 65 pound standard poodle. West Marine life jacket does not fit a dog of any breed I have ever seen. Body of the jacket is too long. Might fit a Cheetah. Ruff Wear jacket is great! Easy on and off with snaps. No zippers. Handle on back. Fits great. Dog does not mind having it on. Good design.
P7170015.JPG

Dec 2, 2003
Thanks for the info so far folks - keep it comin'! A few things here I hadn't thought of.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Further, concerning Smokey's comment above : The dog he observed with his hind end floating higher than his head was probably wearing the West Marine model. We had one and it was very poorly designed.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Further, concerning Smokey's comment above : The dog he observed with his hind end floating higher than his head was probably wearing the West Marine model. We had one and it was very poorly designed.
May very well have been. I couldn't see the name on the jacket. I just know the dog seemed to be struggling to keep its head above the water.

I don't know if I'd trust snaps when lifting by the handle with a 65 pound dog that may be struggling when you're trying to get it out of the water. Of course that depends on how the snaps are made and where they are located. From the picture it looks like the black things are what you are referring to as snaps. When I think of snaps I think of the things on Levi's jeans. Best thing is to test it in a "real life simulation" like pulling the dog up with the handle a few feet from a pool or something.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
We have a 65 pound standard poodle. West Marine life jacket does not fit a dog of any breed I have ever seen. Body of the jacket is too long. Might fit a Cheetah. Ruff Wear jacket is great! Easy on and off with snaps. No zippers. Handle on back. Fits great. Dog does not mind having it on. Good design.
View attachment 135789
Roy may have been the one who pointed out the West Marine limitations in a picture I posted. I haven't bought a Ruff Wear jacket yet but plan to do so. (Charlie is the one on the right. He's a good dawg.)
p.s. @rgranger might recognize the SML hat I'm wearing. I lost it sailing a resort catamaran in Jamaica-mon. It never occurred to me to use my MOB training to try to rescue my hat.

Attachments

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
At the risk of starting an anchor thread variation - I'm looking for recommendations as to what people have liked/disliked about pet life jackets, things to watch for, things to stay away from. What brands held up well, which didn't make a season etc.

Will be starting our first season sailing with a furry mate and want to make it as safe and enjoyable for all as possible.
Outward Hound life jacket for trips in the dink and Ruffwear harness with tether for underway for our Dachsy. Golden retriever wears Ruffwear harness with tether underway and goes commando in the dink. (He can swim about 100x better than I can :))