Dreaded Bottom Paint Thread

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I am re-considering the idea of trailer sailing my boat this season. I didn't use it much last season except for my two cruises. When I hauled out I discovered that the bottom paint that I was using was absolute crap. I had so much soft growth on my bottom it was a lot of work to pressure wash it off.

If I splash it for the season it is only 6 months and then it is back onto the trailer. I would like to get a multi season out of my paint and I have yet to do it with the paint that I was using. Odd, because I had luck with it in the past (It was West Marine's premium ablative paint).

My area gets warm in the summer and it is high fouling.

Any suggestions on a reasonably priced paint that will work good? BTW...a gallon would last for a few coats on my Compac 23.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Talk to the locals on the docks for their experiences and see what the yards are putting on. Volunteer to be the paint stirrer. Not as crazy as it sounds. I 've had several times when the boat was declared done and i'd help them carry heavy "empty" cans inside. Find a scraper and raise all the particulate off the bottom of the can which was suppposed to be on the boat. Show the cans to the boss and tell them this a "do over" on your boat buck. If you want to be involved, the best job is paint stirrer..it's hard to make good comparisons when the applications can be so different. Whenever i leave the yard office for whatever reason i do a Colombo turnaround with a "one more thing"...remember to stir the paint. It's all in fun but they also get it...

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
whatever you end up with for bottom paint options, read the specifications carefully.
Some will indicate "multi season" but that usually means in the water without a haulout.
There are a few paints that are marketed for trailerable boats that will be labeled in some way still effective if the boat is dry stored between uses. What I don't know is how effective the paints are after several months of dry storage such as over the winter.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
A lot of bottom paints loose effectiveness when exposed to air for more than a week (oxidation??). Be sure and get one that is ment for trailer use

Les

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
The bottom paint that I used was a multi season paint. I had been using it for years when it had Iragol in it. The last gallon I bought lasted two seasons where I painted it and then got a second paint job the next year, a total of 3 coats. The problem was that since it didn't have iragol I got nailed with slime. The paint was also supposed to be good with a trailerable boat.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Since the anti fouling componet for bottom paint is copper it makes sense that it oxidizes and becomes less effective. If it's abalative, the oxide layer should come off with use. If it's a hard paint wouldn't a good scrub renew the anti fouling? I used to go at least two season doing this. I would scrub at least every two weeks anyway because ................ Sailers do it with a clean bottom!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Don't let it build up so high.... by knocking off the scum, you also ablate a layer of your bottom paint and expose fresh copper. The more often you brush, the less often you will need to.
WallMart

I'm on a lake for most of my sailing and I find that the scum sloughs off in big sheets once I'm under sail. But when it doesn't, I scrub the bottom clean. Then it seems to slough off again for the next few weeks. Sometimes I do the scrubbing while anchored in a cove for a swim. Sometimes at the docks but only if no one is around. It really makes the water messy.