It stays or it goes

Jan 24, 2017
Chrysler C26 Lake Sakakaweea
I had one of these on my Triton I think but I cannot remember what it was for. Solid Brass. A holder for something. Keep it or heave it?

Also when is a straight cleat better over a cam cleat? Should I replace the straight cleat with cam cleats?

Attachments

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Probably the hanging bracket for a bell, or a compass. I much prefer a cam cleat, never had much use for a jam cleat. Cam cleats are usually much more effective if you put them on a riser.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
the holder looks similar to the holder for an older autohelm unit, but they didnt use brass or bronze that I know of......

horn cleat, cam cleat, clam cleat and jam cleat..... whats is best is determined by the application, not by what looks good on the boat.

Jan 24, 2017
one other thing I do not know what it is. Too far back for a auto pilot I think one on both sides. I know the boat looks dirty but it is only the cockpit and I am in and out too much to keep it clean until I get most of the restructure done.

Attachments

Jan 24, 2017
horn cleat, cam cleat, clam cleat and jam cleat..... whats is best is determined by the application, not by what looks good on the boat.
I showed you the picture of where it goes, which is going to to be better for that application? I am re-bedding everything and would rather not do this twice. Thanks Dan

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
I don't recognize those 2 aft ones, but I would bet that they had something to do with a tiller tamer arrangement or an autopilot.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Its the mount for a removable bell, use to be all the rage on smaller sailboats, ringing them in fog is good not in the anchorage every 30 minutes though.

Jan 24, 2017
I tossed it, but if someone needs it I can send it to them. 4 less holes to leak.

Feb 24, 2013
Coronado C25 San Pedro, CA
On the rear of the boat, I can't tell from the pic but it looks like mounts for standing turning blocks for spinnaker sheets.

Mar 20, 2012
I showed you the picture of where it goes, which is going to to be better for that application? I am re-bedding everything and would rather not do this twice. Thanks Dan
the clam cleat you show attached to the boat is undoubtedly for the jib sheet after it leaves the non self tailing winch... the clam works well there, but I like a cam cleat better in that position.
when sheeting in, you can turn the boat up a bit and just pull the line thru the cams, whereas with the clam the line has to be lifted clear and then placed back in .... also, on a smaller boat when sailing in light breezes, I dont even use the winch but only the cam cleat...
but no matter which one you choose to use, bulls eye lead between the winch and the cleat makes for a better and safer arraignment for 2 reasons... 1, so that the line is always held down so it engages the dogs of the cleat, and 2, so if your drop the sheet during a tack or it comes uncleated, the stopper knot in the end of the sheet will keep it from being lost out of reach.... if using the cleat without the winch, a bulls eye is a necessity...

the bulls eye shown near the cam cleat in one of the photos is too close.. about 2-6 inches is much better...
the round disc shown in another photo looks like a broken or dis-assembled mainsheet swivel cam lead.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2017
Centerline I have this setup for the main. I think the winch and cleat in the pic along with the pulley is for the jib. I have a full length jib track on each side of the boat. I was thinking the same thing with the bulls eye, but don't I have to release the jib sheet and bring it to the other side when tacking? I had two lines on my hobi cat but on this boat it seems like a lot of line out there flopping around. I have another thread on a traveller it has more pics.

Dan

Attachments

Mar 20, 2012
Centerline I have this setup for the main. I think the winch and cleat in the pic along with the pulley is for the jib. I have a full length jib track on each side of the boat. I was thinking the same thing with the bulls eye, but don't I have to release the jib sheet and bring it to the other side when tacking? I had two lines on my hobi cat but on this boat it seems like a lot of line out there flopping around. I have another thread on a traveller it has more pics.

Dan
yes, you are correct, the winch and cleat is for the jib sheet. I mis-typed when I wrote main sheet.
you need a port and starboard jib sheet... you could do it with one if you had to, but it will be an extreme amount of work swapping the sheet from side to side as you tack, and wont be efficient...
the 2 lines we call jib sheets wont be flapping around if they have stopper knots, and the tack is made correctly and in a quick manner.