13 Days on Flaming Gorge Reservoir (Wyo/Ut)..

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Dottie and I spent 13 days on Flaming Gorge Reservoir this past June. It was a great trip and the scenery is spectacular. The lake is about 90 miles long with the upper half in Wyoming and the lower half in Utah.

The Wyoming part is fairly wide and the shores are lower rolling hills and the sailing was good. The winds on most days were light in the morning and came from various directions and in the afternoon would often clock up into the low 20's out of the southwest. We often stopped sailing when the winds got to high and would either anchor or beach the boat in one of the numerous side arms of the lake.

Due to trees/shrubs under the water we started always beaching the boat since we did have some problems with the anchor rode wrapping around the underwater growth.

In the Wyoming part of the lake .....

.... we sailed from destination to destination but ...

... once in Utah you are in one long canyon all the way to the dam and back again so we motored almost all of that with a little motor-sailing and sailing.

The scenery in the Utah part of the lake is spectacular.

The last day in Utah we passed some Big Horn Sheep on the shore and ....

... our last night, back in Wyoming, we beached the boat at the end of an arm and a number of deer and antelope came down to drink about 100 feet from the boat.

Nearby on a cliff there was an almost full grow Golden Eagle baby that wasn't quite flying yet. It was a great end to the trip. We had also seen numerous deer, antelope, ducks, geese, and hawks and such on almost every day. Lots of wildlife in the Wyoming part of the lake.

You can find the trip report with lots more pictures and data here ....

http://1fatgmc.com/boat/mac-1/2016 Flam-Gorg/Trip Index.html

We would highly recommend this as a destination for any trailer sailor,

Sumner
======================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Last edited:

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Looks beautiful but how do you keep perishables for that length of time?

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/inside-22.html

63 quart Edge Star 12 volt compressor type fridge and ....

560 watts of solar but 200 watts would suffice usually. It would be hard to ever go back to ice.

Sumner
=========================================================
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I spent a week in Wyoming this summer and got a chance to water ski in Big Horn Canyon. Now I need to go back with my boat.... dang! That is going to burn some gas getting there.

Thanks for the pics. I always love seeing your mods.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
The scenery is quite a change from the rain forest here ................. just as beautiful but in a completely different way.

Is the water warm enough for swimming ? I've always envied you lake sailors who come out of the water spotless and don't need to rinse off with limited fresh water.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I don't know about flaming gorge but I was in the Shoshone this summer. The temp was about 36 F. I was rafting and my feet went numb. The guide said.... "This water was snow yesterday". LoL

That was in July. Not too great for swimming but all in all Wyoming is a great place to visit. There is a big lake at Yellowstone that got my attention. I'd like to research that as a possible trip... I'm a bit concerned about the Grizzly Bears ... @Sumner were you ever worried about beaching and possible contact with bears?

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
....Is the water warm enough for swimming ? ....
It was in the high 60's and probably gets into the 70's a little later in the summer.

Dottie went in 3 times and liked it....

I prefer 80+ deg. water so only went in twice. With my 3/4's wet suit I was fine. I do also carry a full wet suit just in case I have to go in for longer but it is a pain to put on and off. I have had to use it before when the rode has wrapped around underwater growth. That happened once on the trip but I was able to free the line using the dinghy and a boat hook so didn't have to go in like I had to at Lake Powell.

Sumner
========================================================================
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
.... There is a big lake at Yellowstone that got my attention. I'd like to research that as a possible trip... I'm a bit concerned about the Grizzly Bears ... @Sumner were you ever worried about beaching and possible contact with bears?
I lived in Wyoming for close to 30 years and camped in and outside of Yellowstone and was always worried about Grizzly's but never encountered one there (did in Montana). I'd considered sailing Yellowstone Lake in the past but didn't go and probably will never sail there. The reason is that you have to put in for campsites/docks/anchorages in advance and plan to be at them on a certain day. Yellowstone can have weather come up fast and I didn't like the idea of a fixed schedule and the possibility of not being able to move due to weather. Although they probably would be forgiving if you had to deviate if weather was bad. I would be somewhat worried about bears there but probably not a lot if I was anchored vs. tied to a wilderness dock.

If the weather cooperated it would be a great place to go,

Sumner
=======================================================================
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Awesome photos Sumner. looks like a great area, and thanks for sharing. I'll bet the turbulence could get pretty harry down in the canyon portion at times. especially in the PM.
We need to start traveling to more distant places also, which was our plan when we got the larger boat. We were just having too much fun nearer home for the past couple of seasons.

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
Great pics. Beautiful scenery. So good to see you living life to the fullest. I only hope I have the energy to follow your adventures at your age. Keeps you young. Do you still have the Endeavour?

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Great pics. Beautiful scenery. So good to see you living life to the fullest. I only hope I have the energy to follow your adventures at your age. Keeps you young. Do you still have the Endeavour?
Yep, still have the Endeavour in Florida and Dottie and I will hopefully be down there the first part of December. It will be 3 years since I worked on her last but a friend keeps a close eye on her and I did live on her for a while when I took the Mac down for the Bahama trip. I still have unfinished projects, but sure hope this is the year I get her back in the water. We will live on her in the yard and hopefully by Feb. the main work will be done. If all goes well we might cruise until the first of May.

On another note about the age and doing things, please guys and gals if you have something that is important for you, make it happen. We are in Phoenix and a week ago I had a mass taken off one kidney and found out this morning that it wasn't cancerous (80-85% of them are). No lifting for 6 weeks, but then should be ready to pack the Suburban and trailer for the trip to Florida. I dodged a bullet, but at some point won't. Eat good, exerciser and get out there and do the things that are important to you,

Sumner
=========================================================
Endeavour 37 Mods...