These boats sailed to Marquesas Islands...

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
Yep, I wouldn't have believe it if I didn't see them pull into the anchorage and talk to them in person. Both boats sailed single handed 4,000 miles to Marquesas. One boat when on to Hawaii to leave the rest of the South Pacific for another year. I forgot where the yellow boat went.

Attachments

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
THAT is way more sailing than I would ever want to do in any boat, let alone one that size, though the destination looks stunning!

May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
Yellow hulled boat looks like an Albin Vega. This is a well founded 27 ft Swedish built boat. The book 'Log of the Mahina' written by John Neal is a good read about cruising on a Vega. Matt Rutherford sailed the Northwest Passage in a Vega.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I'll second the Albin Vega, search for a series called, "A Liquid Life" on Utube its an ameture production of a Canadian who started his journey from North of Vancouver and I believe he may still be at it after a couple years.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
During the 60's and 70's, the consensus was that the ideal boats for sailing to distant shores were 27 to 32 feet long. I have nothing against larger boats, but there is no research or experience to say that consensus was wrong.

Some of us prefer larger boats for our own reasons. But let's not forget the siren song of the builders, amplified by the sailing mags that bigger is always better. I'm glad for the builders to make higher profits on bigger boats, but 27 to 32 footers are still excellent long distance cruisers.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
I knew it was a well built boat but still...that is impressive. Just the issue with a lack of water storage (18 gallons) is enough to impress me with how he did it. We are talking about 35-40 days at sea on just 18 gallons. I think I used about 60 gallons in 30 days although I started with 190 gallons so I wasn't pushing it. I am sure he had more than 18, but with stocking up with food and gear, it would have been hard to find places to put it.

Also, one has to be a better sailor to handle the seas in that. Impressive to me. The other boat I think was an Islander 32' but not sure. Here is a better picture of it.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
Here are some pictures of boats that sailed to Tonga, either up from NZ which is a rough ride or across from the east. I'm not knock'n the boats, just giving you guys and idea of what is out here. They also have a lot of Leopard Cats (which many claim are not for ocean crossings) for the charter companies that were sailed here too.

Attachments

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
and this one which I have no idea what it is - the mast came down during a cyclone while on a mooring here.

Attachments

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Have you read "the dove", or "maiden voyage" ? Both boats were under 26ft. Both the boats Lin and Larry made circumnavigations in were under 30 ft, neither had an engine.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
The Albin Vega surprises me not one little bit. I'm a little disappointed you didn't get me some better pictures of her though, FRANKLIN ... :poke:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
During the 60's and 70's, the consensus was that the ideal boats for sailing to distant shores were 27 to 32 feet long. I have nothing against larger boats, but there is no research or experience to say that consensus was wrong.

Some of us prefer larger boats for our own reasons. But let's not forget the siren song of the builders, amplified by the sailing mags that bigger is always better. I'm glad for the builders to make higher profits on bigger boats, but 27 to 32 footers are still excellent long distance cruisers.
Wow, I began sailing in the 60's and circumnavigated in the 70's and there was no such consensus, that I know of. The guideline was then, as it is now, don't go sailing on a boat you can't handle alone.
The difference today is that we have much lighter, better performing designs with roller furling sails, electric winches and a lot of other items that mean a competent sailor can sail a much larger vessel than he/she could in the past.
There's no magic number that designates the perfect size vessel for all individuals. It is personal and competency related. Alan Colas sailed the three-masted, 128-foot Vendredi Treize solo!

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
I believe the windlass is responsible for the larger boats. 300' of chain and 80 lb anchors is no problem now.

Jan 22, 2017
Coronado 35 Center Cockpit Miami, Florida
I have an albin Vega in Miami .. It is called Good Karma.. and has brought a lot of pleasure to me and my friends. I am switching to a coronado 35 cc rigged for travel and filming. I have to get rid of the Vega I guess.
Mike

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
yes....my trip was 4,000 miles to (30 days) from Panama. I skipped Galapogos but maybe my next time àround I will stop.
Nice! Did you keep an on-line blog or something like that?

And how hard is it to get through the Panama Canal? I've heard different accounts. Some say it was straight forward and others say it is a PITA to navigate the bureaucracy. I have a friend in Ecuador and we have been fantasizing about a cruise from his place, port-hoping up along the Mexican coast to Houston or New Orleans.