Driven on shore in thunderstorm

Jun 14, 2010
Seafarer 29 Oologah, OK
On Thursday I went out at about 8:00 a.m. planning to be back in by noon or one o’clock due to the forecast calling for afternoon t-storms. Weather was gorgeous and I got further from home than I should have; I sailed up the lake to the north until about 10:50 am before turning around. Coming back the wind died away and I was going upwind so progress was slow. At 1:12 my wife texted me that a bad storm had hit the house and power was out - "get back to the dock" she said. I actually had started the motor and was heading in before that, seeing the clouds building in the west and hearing thunder about 5 miles distant, but left the sails up thinking that if I could catch a puff or two I could get home quicker.

Well the storm rolled in with frightening speed. I could see the wind front approaching from about 2 miles away, pushing a wall of white spray torn from the water surface before it, a sight I will never forget. It covered those 2 miles in under 2 minutes. I hauled down the genoa, let go the main halyard, and put on my life jacket and then it hit with the main half down, laid the boat almost on her beam ends then spun her around and drove her. I was more or less helpless, could not turn into the wind to get the main the rest of the way down. The main thrashed itself to ribbons in short order. The wind pressure on the mast and remains of the main still heeled the boat 30 degrees and more even though it was far on the port quarter. I kept the tiller down to leeward and the engine on with the motor tiller down to leeward too, could round up about 20 to 30 degrees from dead downwind but no more. I had about a mile of open water under my lee but by steering up to port as much as I could, bought another mile (the lake at that point lies on a SW-NE axis, wind was in the west so by steering approximately 65 degrees I was a little more parallel to the shore). Used up my two miles in maybe 15 or 20 minutes, although it seemed much longer. There was a brief lull when I was no more than 100 yards off shore during which I got her turned around and headed back into the wind, then another hard blast pushed me bodily to port and backwards onto the rocks.

Hit with a hard shock and then for the next 30 minutes the waves, 2 or 3 feet high, would pick up the boat and drop her back down on the rocks. I could’ve jumped out and waded ashore, only about 10 feet, but stayed with the boat. I was relatively safe there, just hard up against a couple of large boulders.

At 2:12 p.m. I called the sheriff’s department to ask them to contact the lake patrol, gave them my lat/long from Navionics (35 deg 58.954’ N, 95 deg 15.346’ W) and told them I was not in danger but did need assistance.

The wind finally slackened and shifted direction 180 degrees as the front moved east. With the wind shift I was no longer pinned against the rocks and floated free into a little cove. I lowered the motor (I had raised it to keep it from beating on the rocks) and started back down the lake. Called the sheriff’s department back and said never mind about the lake patrol, I had refloated and was under way.

On the way back down to the marina the wind was blowing pretty hard from the east, around 20 kts or so but nothing like before. She did steer even though the rudder had taken a severe pounding on the rocks. I motored back to the marina which I realized as I came in had been heavily damaged, the covered dock at the end of the sailboat dock where my slip is had been torn completely away and driven into the main dock where the office and gas pump are located. I started a different thread on the marina damage.

After pulling into my slip and starting to put everything away I noticed that the floorboards were awash and the carpeting saturated. With help from a couple of other sailors who had come out to assess damage, we passed some ratchet straps and ropes under the hull and secured to the dock to hopefully keep her from sinking. I only have a manual bilge pump and the plastic hose which is original equipment from ’79 was dried out and brittle, it cracked and split so I couldn’t pump out. One of the marina people said they’d get an electric pump over there and pump her out as soon as the power is back on. I plan to get a battery powered bilge pump and float switch to hook up and keep her pumped out and afloat until I can arrange to have her hauled so I can see the extent of the damage underneath, which I am afraid is pretty bad.

I learned that the storm is what is called a “derecho”, a fairly rare event in which straight-line winds of over 60 mph are sustained for an extended period. The entire area suffered millions in damage and there’s been a disaster declaration. Power is still out now, about 40 hours later, for several thousand homes and not projected to be fully restored until Monday afternoon.

Counting blessings, I survived unhurt and was not dismasted or sunk. In hindsight I can say that I never should have gone out or stayed out so long with the forecast for storms. Seeing the storm coming I should probably have anchored – even if it dragged I probably wouldn’t have gone aground.

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
Wow! Some hard lessons learned but thanks for sharing your experience. The most important thing is you are safe! The best thing you did was to don your pfd.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
I had a nearly parallel experience about two weeks ago. Only difference is, I headed down wind till I found a cove to beach the boat between the rocks, so no damage.
Curious what boat do you have and what size motor?

Jun 14, 2010
Seafarer 29 Oologah, OK
I had a nearly parallel experience about two weeks ago. Only difference is, I headed down wind till I found a cove to beach the boat between the rocks, so no damage.
Curious what boat do you have and what size motor?
A Pearson 26, 4' draft, with Evinrude 9.9 hp auxiliary.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
The same storm came thru Wichita....Our yacht club had 59 knot winds, but the Wichita Airport clocked an 82 mph
wind gust....several sail covers were damaged and the club lost power for a day...but aside from that we did fine....the club
is really protected by substantial stone jetties thankfully....I'm thankful you were okay. Patrick

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Hit with a hard shock and then for the next 30 minutes the waves, 2 or 3 feet high, would pick up the boat and drop her back down on the rocks. I could’ve jumped out and waded ashore, only about 10 feet, but stayed with the boat. I was relatively safe there, just hard up against a couple of large boulders.
Good call. I think, under those conditions, abandoning your vessel would have been more dangerous. I've heard it said many times: Don't abandon your boat unless you have to step up to get off it. Also, when your boat floated free...then what? Glad you are safe. Boats can be repaired.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I wonder if instead of heading back to the docks you should have headed into the lake to deeper water? Just curious.

added - Never mind. I just Google Earth you coordinates and see that it is really a small lake.

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
I hope the damage to your boat is economically repairable and glad you survived that little blast uninjured. We only caught the northern edge of it on Oologah but the marina suffered some damage to the dock structure. Nasty little storm we had blow through.

Jun 14, 2010
Seafarer 29 Oologah, OK
added - Never mind. I just Google Earth you coordinates and see that it is really a small lake.
I relied on my somewhat fallible memory for those coordinates - I jotted in the log book 35°58.465' N, 95°15.825' W, which I got off of Navionics.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Head for a shore without rocks. Drop anchor a little ways from shore. Close enough to swim to shore if need be, but far enough away to keep from bottoming out. Just things to do for next time. One needs to have several contingencies, depending on what the circumstances are.
Its so easy to get ingrained in your head to get back to your own dock, but one needs to be willing to let go of that, and think through their options. When we ditched a few weeks back, we just knew we were not going to make it back when we planned. Really didn't know how long the storm was going to last. We hunkered down and prepared for the storm to hit. Made sure we were going to stay warm, sprayed us down with bug spray. I honestly didn't think I would make it back before dark, but as it turned out, the storm only lasted for an hour.
When I took sailing lessons, our instructor beat it into our heads to always pick the leaward side of the dock, so there is no chance of being blown into it. That principle has really stuck with me. Anytime I navigate near a solid object, I always approach it from the down wind side. I've seen several Youtube videos of boats which can't obtain enough speed to keep from being blow into danger. Its one of those GMPs, but really should be GSP.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I relied on my somewhat fallible memory for those coordinates - I jotted in the log book 35°58.465' N, 95°15.825' W, which I got off of Navionics.
No, I see that you were in a very narrow part of the lake. So I now understand how you got pushed over to the shore line.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
Fantastically written, I hope you are submitting this account to a sail publication and are paid for you're detailed account. Very impressed with your seemingly clear and calm head in such a stressful situation. Well done sir.

Jul 30, 2010
Hunter 36 West Chazy, NY / Montreal Que.
In a similar situation wouldn't it wise to put all your sails down and use the motor to stay upwind or if conditions are worsted, to drop one of the sails overboard using it as a see anchor. And all this should be done ahead of first wind hit.

ROBT

Jul 24, 2012
Hunter 45 Deck Salon Mystic, CT
There is a simple rule-of-thumb saying - "Reef Early and Often". Squall lines, Isolated Thunderstorms, and other frontage systems move-in more quickly than most people anticipate. Most weather related problems start with a simple mistake and cascades into a major problem. A couple of years ago, my wife and I clearly saw a squall line approaching and we started preparations (life jackets, portable radio, hatch check, sails down and furled, etc.). Initially, I gave her about a 30 minute window, but changed my mind at about 15 minutes, just to be safe. Within another five minutes the leading downdraft winds went from zero to sixty knots. Our early preparation had kept us safe, while a couple of other boats around us suffered knock-downs and broken masts. By the way, there is another old saying "Wisdom is something you get when you expected to get something else".

Mar 31, 2016
Columbia 10-7 Cambridge, MD
These storms are real and not uncommon. Here is a NOAA web page with some facts about Derechos... http://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/AbtDerechos/derechofacts.htm ...From your account I believe you did everything a prudent captain should do. It's easy to second guess, but as the saying goes: "You had to be there." Nonetheless, there are always lessens to be learned. After 60 years I'm still learning to respect the power of nature.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
These storms are real and not uncommon. Here is a NOAA web page with some facts about Derechos... http://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/AbtDerechos/derechofacts.htm ...From your account I believe you did everything a prudent captain should do. It's easy to second guess, but as the saying goes: "You had to be there." Nonetheless, there are always lessens to be learned. After 60 years I'm still learning to respect the power of nature.
Completely agree with this post.
Lessons learned and lessons shared. We can all gain from his experience as we read his account over a cup of coffee.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Thanks for your post.

Since you said you've got Navionics, I'm assuming you have that on an iPhone or iPad. I have an app called RadarScope, which picks up radar info from NWS. I often check that app, to see if there are hot spots nearby, and what direction they are moving. Today we've got nice weather now and nice wind, but the forecast bumps to 50% chance of storms by 6:00. I want to catch a sail after work, so I'll check this app and see if it looks like there are events on the horizon. Some of these summer 50% days turn out to never have storms, and have great sailing weather. Many days like this in the past I've sat home, not sailing or going for a bike ride, and at the end of the evening, beat myself up because it never did rain! :D

Another lesson learned, if there are forecasts for potential storms, and I'm out and the wind dies, I'm gonna get my sails down just in case! They don't call it the "lull before the storm" for nothin'! :D

Glad you didn't get hurt, and you and the boat live to sail another day.