Good boat shoes for the "elderly"

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
My first run out on Saturday and almost went flying standing on dry non skid! So, I had a look at my shoes, 15-20 year old leather Sperry Top Sider loafers and see that the soles, while not worn, have gotten really stiff and slippery....and at 70 my balance is not what it was. What is a good sticky show, preferably a slip on, to buy these days?

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
I've had several pairs of Topsiders. All junk. Tried different types in the hopes that these "boat shoes" would improve.
Even when new, the soles have significantly less dry or wet traction than my regular 'ol Nikes.
After a few uses, they become ice skates.
Also the leather and canvas bodies have poor foot support, causing floppy feet.
I really don't know how they get away with calling them boat shoes.
Therefore, I'll be interested in others' reports.
My input is that my Nikes hold the deck in all conditions. The drawback is that they have blue soles, which mark a little. Not a lot. I just clean up after them during the washing. Better than sliding and rolling my ankles around the decks while trying to sail a boat.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
With Sperry's I was in the routine of replacing every 1-2 seasons after the soles would dry out. I've since tried Timberland (got about 3 seasons), and a West Marine pair (going into season 3 and still pretty sticky). After they dry out I just use them basically as slippers for around the house.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
+1 to Skipper. I have Sebago loafer-type. They became useless on the deck, so only wore them to walk from the cottage to the beach. Went down the wood steps, stepped on the ground-level landing with the boards in line with my travel. My feet went out from under me. Not badly hurt, as I was clear of the stairs, but it could have been alot worse by about one foot distance. Bought Sperry with lace-up, and those soles turned hard. So, I went to Sears (to get wide widths) and bought gray jogging shoes. I only wear them for the boat, and these are what I will contine to buy.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I've had god luck with Timberland. About three years is all I get until the sole starts to separate from the leather at the toe. Stuck the shoe back together with Gorilla glue which works for awhile. Unfortunately, there are no really good shoe repair shops around any more, or they could be restitched possibly. The soles themselves are still moderately serviceable, and the uppers are in good condition.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I've had several pairs of Topsiders. All junk.
After several pairs of Topsiders, I wouldn't allow anyone to come on to the boat wearing a pair of them. Give them a few months of wear, they're like ice skates on the non skid.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
If you do a search on "boat shoes" you'll find some interesting results. Almost all of us have given up on "boating" shoes that turn hard and slippery. I have a pair of SAS shoes made in Texas, work great.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Wow Stu. Those are some precious shoes. They have a Texas price tag... Dallas not El Paso.
I'm not sure I would want them splashed with salt water while I'm tending to the anchor on the bow.
I tried some nike slip-on's with a soft siped sole for water traction. Have worked great in medium to warm weather. Lightly made so not a winter sailing shoe if you need to have warm feet. Cost less than $50. Found a canvas slip-on at Sportsman Warehouse for $39.99 with a flat siped sole, made by SIMMS Fishing Products, that I'm going to give a try this season.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I swear by Vibram "Fivefingers". There are many styles, but ones I wear have the best grip of any footwear I have ever seen by far.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Try a pair of inexpensive water shoes from Walmart, run about 7 bucks and soles are pretty good on decks, no marks and you can still have traction when all is wet.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I only wear my deck shoes that I sail with on the boat, primarily while sailing. That means I wear other shoes to the boat and change onboard. I change out of the deck shoes before getting off the boat. It is the only way I know of that preserves the grip of the soles on the deck. I'll wear a pair of worn out deck shoes while at the dock, loading the boat, in the parking lot or working on a boat on the hard. But the shoes I sail with are on my feet only for sailing. Worn out deck shoes are more dangerous than bare feet to me.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Wow Stu. Those are some precious shoes. They have a Texas price tag... Dallas not El Paso.
I'm not sure I would want them splashed with salt water while I'm tending to the anchor on the bow.
I have done just that, and simply cleaned them off. I have three pairs: one white for the boat, one cordovan and one brown. I've had the brown ones for over 10years and just shined them up yesterday, still going strong. Other than Riekers, which stopped making reasonably looking styles many years ago, unfortunately, they are the best shoes I've ever owned. Pricey? Yes, but long lasting makes the cost per year drop way down. $18 per year for my first pair --- not so bad at all. :) Most comfortable shoes I've ever owned.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Many thanks, fellas. Looks like several good choices there and that I am not alone. Renaming my shoes Sperry "slip sliders". Maybe it isn't my age after all so that made me feel good too. You guys are the best!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Crocks ! I usually wear "Classic" but "Swiftwater" is great as well http://www.crocs.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-crocs_us-Site/default/Search-Show?q=boat%20shoes. The Classic is ugly.. yup.. but a fine boat shoe. Pitch them when the treads get worn.. available locally for $20 .. Wore classic Sperrys for many years until I got some plantar fasciitis from the terrible foot support they (don't?) offer.
I do wear the "Billfish" when it is cool or when I have to dress for some restaurants.. http://www.sperry.com/en/billfish-3...lor=0799023#cgid=men-shoes-boat-shoes&start=1
I used to take the side-grinder and sand the Topsider soles when they got oxidized and slippery.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I'll chime in late. I prefer the athletic style boat shoe over any leather, loafer style. I've had timberland, Sebago, Sperry etc.. and they all stiffen up fairly quickly and break down fit wise. They look good at the yacht club though. Neither do I like the old canvas topsider style... they just never felt comfortable. About 10 years ago WM had a sale on my faves the Sperry "Spinnaker".. I purchased 3 pairs because of past experience... Everything I wanted in a boat shoe.. comfortable, safe... and affordable.

The spinnaker is out of production now... go figure.. but I recently purchased a pair of WM brand that look uncannily similar... except for the red trim... Couldn't be more pleased. Watch for the sale... around $50/pair..... $80 retail.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Like Joe, I was upset when they quit making Sperry Spinnakers, the new replacement is called the "harbormaster" a little lighter but still pretty good support. WM puts them on sale a couple times a year so they're cheap enough to replace often. My wife has switched to those ultra light training shoes most of which have better traction than available deck shoes.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
OK, more good choices. I have a pair of Croc Classics I wear at home but early on when I got them I went down to the dock. See those air slits? Exact match to a dock cleat and I hooked one and nearly went into the water, hat a good trip nevertheless so that was it for the Classic. But you have all given me some great options. Much obliged!