Life at 23 feet

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I am out on a cruise. It has been one to remember with bouts of nasty weather and some rough weather. It is amazing how small my boat feels when the Chesapeake Bay shows her ugly side. So far my boat has taken it in stride.

When I left on the cruise last Monday I left in a stiff breeze out of the north. It was a late start but I still made 32 miles and stopped in Smith Creek near Point Lookout, MD. I had a two hour spinnaker run once the wind subsided a bit and it was perfect conditions for flying my asymmetrical.

The second day was spent in Smith Creek with lots of rain.

The third day I rode some north winds down to Mill Creek off of the Great Wicimico River. This wasn't a bad ride and it was the one day that the winds crapped out.

The next day I left there and had a good sail to Jackson Creek in Deltaville. The beginning of the day was quite rough when I came out of Mill Creek to 20 knots of wind out of the North East. I saw some huge waves in that area.

The last two days I have spent in Deltaville. Yesterday just to hang around and today we have high winds and rain. I did manage to find some leaks that I will have to deal with sooner than later. The biggest pain is the leak from my solar vent that is right over my V berth. I have some butyl tape and I plan to reseal it once the weather is better.

So far all my new systems are working well. I took a very cold cockpit shower yesterday since I have added pressurized water and the shower. My batteries are maintaining charge with the solar panels because of the large bank and low demand. I haven't seen much sun on this trip so far.

I have some more time so who knows where I will get too.

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
Wow I tip my hat to you sir very impressive the best I've ever done is 25 mile run in my boat I'm more of a marina pirate if ya make it to little creek I got ya beer at Cutty Sark

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Well done. Sounds like a nice cruise. Are you solo or do you have crew on board? You use "we" so I suspect crew. But then again, you used "I" allot also.

May 23, 2004
I am single handed. My only crew on this boat is my tiller pilot. I couldn't imagine a large cruise with more than one because it would be tight on the boat.

I have been cruising with another boat, a Catalina 34 that belongs to my aunt and uncle. On two days I have beaten them boat for boat when we were sailing. I attribute it just the right conditions and my spinnaker.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Good for you. Seems single handed is the way to go, at least for me. Have another mini cruise (2-day) this coming weekend. Down to San Diego Bay. Right now, forecast for winds is W 10knts both days. So I might get lucky one of the days.

Enjoy your cruise and be safe!

May 23, 2004
You too. We shall see what happened tomorrow. I sure could use some sun to dry things out.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Hey, Bad O... how far north are you coming? The Navy Blue Angels fly over the Annapolis harbor Tue (for practice) and Wednesday (for the show).

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Bad Obsession sent me a couple of photos and oh they were stunning. I will try to forward them over to Phil Herring to see if he can post them. I am not savy with my cell phone and in error erased them. Bad Obsession, resend them and with your permission send them to phil if ok with you

May 23, 2004
Go head and send him Dave.

Today was rough. I left from Jackson Creek and I headed up to Urbanna. Going across stingray point was absolutely nuts. Sustained winds were at least 15 kn and the waves were 3 feet with a few big four footers mixed in.

As I got down the Rappahannock River the win decided to clock around and go straight on my nose and build to 20 kn. Then as I was pulling into Urbanna my outboard started acting up. It did not want to Idol or motor at low speeds. I had to start it on choke and then restart it.
When I finally got anchored I checked the outboard out. If you'll filter look good, the engine was not hot, and after messing with it for a bit and it started running fine. I am hoping it was just some trash in the fuel since it was so rough and the fuel get stirred so much. The idol is never rough either. I think that I will try putting some seafoam in it just in case I need to clean it out some. I hope this is the end that issue. It sure did have me worried though.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I sailed a borrowed boat from Chetham Annex on the Rappahannock River to Norfolk back in 70. It was a glorious adventure with the wind out of the north at 15 we exited the river on a broad reach. Joining the Chesapeake we changed course setting the sails wing-wing. Preventer on the boom and a following 4 ft swell. Made it to NAS Norfolk before my parents could drive back. Remember the day as if it was yesterday.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
Bad O , great to hear about your sailing adventure --- (since my week end was spent wrestling with a balky leaking hot water tank.) If you ever trailer to our home port of Erie you've got a beer and a meal waiting....

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
Thank you for sharing your adventure with us, cruising the bay is on my list also after I work through a list of projects, this helps keep me motivated to keep working. Finding and eliminating leaks was first on the list this spring, so of course we are having a record rainfall this spring. :)

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Whenever I have a tough time idling the outboard and have to start it and run it with partial choke, I have found that it was a clogged or partially clogged idle jet. On my Honda 8HP that jet is on top of the carb so is easy to access and remove (though I get nervous I may drop it; one of these days I will order 2 spares). I just poke a thin plastic "wire" (from a dental floss threader split in half) down the center and spray with carb cleaner, and the idle comes right back.

May 23, 2004
Thank you for that tip on the outboard. I just bought some seafoam so I'm hoping that works. If you run it with just a touch of choke it ran. After doing that for a bit I didn't need to check it all and it would I'll OK. I think I burnt off whatever it was but the seafoam is just a precaution.

Urbanna is a very nice town. There is a grocery store and a Napa Close to the free dinghy dock at the town marina. You can also get ice at the town marina. There is a very good pizza place called Angelo's that I had pizza at last night. It was very good. Probably one of the better pizzas I've had. The people are also very friendly.

Still, after the troubles I had getting in here I probably won't come back. Who knows.

It is currently raining again. It rained all night last night. Everything in the cabin feels damp to me. I can't wait for some sunny weather. I think mother nature thinks that it's April.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE="Bad Obsession,... I can't wait for some sunny weather. I think mother nature thinks that it's April.[/QUOTE]

Hold on to your rightGuard... Wait for Tuesday and later. 80s the rest of the week, lower 80s on the weekend.

Sep 19, 2010
Beneteau 41 Deltaville, VA
Urbanna is a nice little town. You might want to cross the river and visit Irvington on Carters Creek as well. Weather is looking much nicer starting tomorrow and thru the rest of the week! The First Mate and I will be heading out of Jackson Creek on Wednesday for a couple days of cruising around; hope to see you on the water!

May 23, 2004
This morning started well. The engine started ok and I ran it to just outside the harbor. The winds were light and I set the main and then the spinnaker. I shut the engine down and it seemed okay. I then started a 18 mile spinnaker run where the winds built to -0-15 knots. I flew out of the Rappahannock like my head was on fire and my butt was catching.

I got out in the bay and turned hard to the wind. Again I took off like a gunshot. I was fi I g to set some serious personal distance records and the. The Chesapeake said NO! I was in the middle of an 8 boat manhaden fishing fleet and the winds crapped out to nothing. I tried to fire up the outboard and she would t run! Oh no! I am in a bad spot with all kinds of things going on with no engine and no wind.

Luckily my Uncle was close by to bail me out. He towed me into Indian Creek. I contacted Chesapeaky Bay Boat Basin and they said that they can get to my engine tomorrow. So right now I am sitting in Indian Creek rafter up to my Uncle's Catalina 34.

Guys, say some prayers or wish for some luck that my engine is a quick and eay fix. I think it is the carb and it needs to be cleaned. All the symptoms are there. Either way, I could use a little luck that this doesn't break the bank. I have darn near busted the cruising kitty this year.