Towing weight?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It's snowing and I'm considering looking at a sailboat/trailer. I would need to transport it over 1,000 miles. The boat weighs 3,700lbs. I don't know about the trailer. It is single axle, no brakes and homebuilt. Owner claims new tires and bearings. Could this be done with a Pacifica? I think it is a 6 cylinder. I have a frame mounted hitch. Or am I just going crazy sitting here watching it snow?

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
boat alone at 3700 # plus the weight of the trailer is way pushing things for a single axle.. No brakes on the trailer at that weight.. probably also not a good idea unless you are towing with a seriously large heavy truck (and even then probably not legal). Are you towing in snow or is it causing you to ponder.. You can tow a sailboat in the snow but I think it significantly increases your chances of an accident. Back when there was an event in Feb in Havasu there were a couple accidents over a few years involving the trailers getting out of control on snowy roads..

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I've dropped the idea of towing it with my Pacifica. In fact, the single axel trailer seems like a bad idea too. And in NY getting a home built trailer registered is a hassle to put it mildly. So I'll return to looking for something nearer home. I might be better off buying a trailer.
Thanks for the input 'though. I'll come up with another bad idea soon enough.

Sep 6, 2015
Unknown snipe delaware bay
Snowy days plus the internet are good for that! lol
Eric
Seriously though, boat hauling can be reasonable to get a new toy closer to you. I have enjoyed many road trips to go look at new possibilities.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
When looking at trailers, see what the axle says as to load if stamped on it but generally the sidewalls of the tires will tell you max load and times the number of tires will give you max load. Remember to include the weight of the trailer if known being a homebuilt.
I think you were wise to walk away from that boat and trailer shemandr.

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
Shemander, 20 hours of sphincter compression doesn't sound like fun. If you really like the boat, borrow your brother-in-laws pickup. You know, the one who has all the toys and you're not sure where he gets the money or what youre doing wrong? Yeah, that one. Taking it easy you could make the trip without brakes, though I really don't recommend it. But you could do it. If you're really interested, you can buy a brake kit that includes all the parts required, for about $400. Takes about 3 hours to install and bleed. Good investment.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Well, I taken a slip for the season (Another manifestation of the snowstorm - and yes you northerners, it wouldn't even qualify as a flurry up there). I'm going to need a boat.
The sphincter compression thing doesn't sound good! I do have that guy, my SIL, who is a contractor and has a big A** truck. Don't know if I can go to the favor bank on that. Could be costly beyond reason.
It's a weird thing. I want the trailer almost as much as the boat. The trailer would be used twice a year. But it liberates me from the boatyard Bulls**t. It's key to making my ownership affordable.
Thank you for the brake kit info. If I decide to pursue this I guess I could ask how far East he is willing to drive the boat/trailer or if he's willing to install a brake kit. I'd rather find something more local.

Nov 9, 2008
I just replaced my F150 with a Ram 1500 that can tow Rhode Island. Why, you ask? Same reason as you. I've towed and launched our Lancer every weekend for 10 years. We are now looking to upgrade and WILL have a trailer still so I dont have to put up with the marina. Ram's good for 10,000 pounds so I' m looking for an O'day 302.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Really an Oday 302 as a trailer able vessel? I would think that is just a bit over the top as for size to tow down the road. Me thinks someone wanted a new truck........ :)

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
The biggest concern would be lack of brakes. Second would be the fact that Minivans are built for fuel mileage, so they are light weight. Front wheel drive makes it light duty to begin with, and then factoring in the fuel mileage targets, its really the wrong vehicle to cheat with.

About the only way I can think of would bet to rent a U-haul box truck with a hitch. That would give you the capacity you need and adequate braking. Get the DW to drive you there and follow you home.

Your other option would be U-ship. Haulers will bid on transporting it for you. Prices are typically competitive with renting a U-Haul.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Where is the boat/trailer? Taking it back to Greenport?
The boat/trailer is in Mn. I've pretty much given up this idea. Yes, it would go to Greenport - actually Cutchogue which is a little West of the Da Port.

Nov 9, 2008
Really an Oday 302 as a trailer able vessel? I would think that is just a bit over the top as for size to tow down the road. Me thinks someone wanted a new truck........ :)
I'm not necessarily saying it's "trailerable". I'm saying I can tow it home, about a 5 to 20 mile trip depending on where I go. Boat weighs 7200 pounds. Add another 1500 for a trailer. So, I'm about maxed out but it is within it's limitations. And if I use the coefficient of yahoo, that adds another 1600 pound on top of that.

Nov 9, 2008
Dude, I just looked at where you are located. There are O'day 272s sprouting all around you! Some on trailers.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It's key to making my ownership affordable
Shemander.... You had me at affordable....:kick:
Life is so busy that we often miss the obvious... If you believe that the trailer will make the boat ownership possible. In the words of Nike "Just do it."

When we moved 600 miles from the Bay Area to Oregon, I had to move the last of our things as my wife and daughter drove up early. I ran out of room to pack up all of their things. I needed a trailer. Fortunately it had a boat on it. So I bought the trailer and packed it with the rest of the essentials and arrived at our new home. Being treated at the car as I drove up.... What is with the boat? I needed the trailer to bring all of your stuff. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:.

Do it and do not look back.

Jul 4, 2017
Centurion Enzo SV233 SV233 California
Small boats or yachts can be transported on a trailer, but as you said that your boat weight is 3,700lbs and you want to transport it 1,000 miles, so it is best that you should hire a boat transportation and shipping services. There are many boat and yacht transport companies like We Will Transport It, Uship, Sail Boating Services, etc., who is specialized and expertise in working arrangements with overseas shipping lines and international boat transport.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I keep seeing Uship and most do not know boats and trailers. I would be cautious and demand a copy of their insurance when towing. Also, they never recheck the straps and so forth. FYI