Can the "boxtop" be a source of bilge water?

drdanj

Jun 15, 2009
Hunter 290 Channel Islands
Every time I go out, I come back with about an inch of salt water in the bilge. All the throughhulls are dry. The dripless packing gland shows some salt rimming. I've wrapped the thing in paper towels filled with SaltAway, wrapped in plastic bags tied off for an hour to melt salt crystals away, that seems to have reduced the crystals.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
If it was the packing gland you'd likely have more water after running the engine. They usually leak more when the shaft is turning. More likely is the keel bolts. The side ways forces of sailing can make them leak more once the joint has been compromised. A sure give away on this is when you haul out the water will seep back out of the joint and leave a trail down the outside of the keel. Up here where it freezes we haul every fall and get to check this annually. You guys in warmer climes not so much. (That's the only advantage of winter I can think of). If that trail is rusty the bolts are corroding and need attention ASAP. If no rust you can get away with digging out the sealant and reapplying.
Deck joints can leak but they're usually not under water long enough to amount to much. Windows and fittings can also leak but you usually see evidence of that.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Is the dripless, dripping? A gallon and a half is quite a drip in the limited running time not to be able to observe it. I would suggest your water is coming from a different source perhaps at a different time. Check your hoses and clamps for the raw water intake and exhaust systems. Check for any leaks among your keel bolts. Check also the head plumbing. Salt water spray is also known to leak in through deck fixtures, stanchions and pulpits that are not properly sealed. Check the cockpit scuppers. Do not rule out fresh water leaks from rain or faults in the plumbing and tank. The way some leaks work is that the water gets trapped in the hull stringers below the sole. This water accumulates and fresh water may get mixed with salt water loosing a clear identity. There can be tens of gallons trapped in there only to be dislodged slowly into the bilge when the boat is under motion. The only cure is to find all leaks and correct them. Drilling holes to drain the underside is just taking care of the symptoms and not the problem. Cannot diagnose your packing gland online, I would advise you have a trusted mechanic or knowledgeable friend look at it.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Every time I go out, I come back with about a gallon and a half of salt water in the bilge.
I would describe this as a major leak. It is coming from below the water line but I doubt it's the shaft seal. If it were, man the pumps :yikes: ! ! !

Time for a little sleuthing. Following Capt jwg, tape a few strips of towel across all paths leading into the bilge and see if they are wet at the end of an outing. Dry, it's the keel bolts, wet, keep following all possible paths back using the towel method. With that much water, it shouldn't be too difficult to find.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Could be as simple as water coming back up the head if it's set to intake. The lads here are right, if there's that much water, the it should be easy to see. Dry it all, then go out and watch. You have to find the leak first.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Wet erase markers work even better. Draw a line below any suspected source and if that's a leak it will leave a break in the line and a trail.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Years ago on another boat I experienced a similar problem... Turned out that the bilge pump hose was cracked. About 50% of the pumped water found it's way back to the bilge.

Kopite

Mar 11, 2015
Catalina 27 Monroe MI
My cat 27 shoebox joint has leaked but it's more when raining than sailing. I think the water comes down behind the rub rail and then through the bolts holding the box halves together. I could see a gallon from a good rain storm. If you are healing enough to be getting the stanchions wet this could be the source.. I fixed mine by running Captain Tolleys around the rub rail..

Aug 3, 2014
CATALINA, BENETEAU OCEANIS 36, 400 Grosse Ile, Mi and Fajardo, PR
It is common for the anchor locker to leak into the forward cabin bulkhead and find its way to the bilge. My 1984 Cat 36 has 2 openings just below the deck on the starboard and port side of the anchor locker's bulkhead. Stick a hose in either opening and the forward cabin gets soaked. I filled the holes with high density foam. Problem solved.

drdanj

Jun 15, 2009
Hunter 290 Channel Islands
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to start trying to track down the various sources. A dockmate also suggested checking the cockpit scupper hoses for cracks.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Just fixed a similar problem, small amount of water showing up in the bilge after a trip. Started checking it during each leg of a trip and determined that water only showed up after motoring. Never while sailing. The dripless was fine. It was a loose band clamp on my water muffler exhaust inlet hose.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
What year is your C36? Mine's an '84, and I found broken exhaust and cockpit scupper hoses this year. I think they have been broken for a while. Scary.