A true boater....

meb135

Nov 17, 2012
Hunter 33 Shediac Bay
LETTER TO A MEN’S HELPLINE:
Hi all, I really need your advice on a serious problem:
I have suspected for some time that my wife has been cheating on me. The usual signs: if the phone rings and I answer, the caller hangs up and then she says she’s going out with the girls. I try to stay awake to look out for her when she comes home but I usually fall asleep. Anyway, last night about midnight I hid in the shed behind my boat. When she came home she got out of someone’s car buttoning her blouse when I noticed a hairline crack in my boat’s engine-mounting bracket. Is this something I can weld or will I need to replace it?”

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
In order to properly advise we would need more information, please include age and measurements and if possible a picture.

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
AMF Alcort Paceship PY26 Washburn Wi. Apostle Islands
I'd advice replacement as the answer to ALL your troubles...

Definitely a newer/younger version...

Really sounds like it's time for this one to go....

There's just no fixing this..

It'll just come back to haunt you...

Believe me when I say don't walk away...Run

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
The problem with the newer models are they require considerable funds to operate, the flash soon wears off and you get started on the maintenance. New parts require new $$.

Older models that have been around the block a time or two, tend to have the kinks worked out, they may have a few blemishes but we've learned how to put up with their quirks and they with ours.

And definitely get the welder out!!

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I see your dilemma, very serious, there are many good groups and advice sites that can help you through your problem. Let us know whether you've stepped up to a newer model OB or weld, you deserve it. Maybe thank the missus for helping you discover that crack before it got worse. :biggrin:Women like that are hard to find.

All U Get

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
If you are going to go with an older model... At least try to find an "enhanced" version....

The upgrade is worth the price...

You'll be glad you did...

Last edited:

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
And we're not talking the big beefy model either....

Too much weight in the ass end...

And as far as try to patch things up with the old one...

It's just gonna fail and let you down again...

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
The old bracket may be welded but only if the material is not fatigued too much, you may have to shave it clean to verify the amount of fracture, otherwise replacement may by advised once the amount of fracture is understood. On replacement one must be very careful to ensure the new is completely compatible, some of the newer brackets will fit but are not as resilient as the older designs. When going with the older design shaving off the excess may be necessary to verify that the wear is not excessive. Good luck in finding just the right bracket should you decide to replace the old one.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
You definitely need to deal with this crack! If you do not sevice that crack, all sorts of objects can get in there, to the point where you may lose your mount altogether. I advise opening it up a little to determine its depth. Maybe even give it a good reaming to clean it out!
Once you do that, I am certain you will know how big your problem is. Wear protective gear! You don't want to hurt yourself!
Once you have worked out this crack, consider yourself an expert! You may then volunteer to check out cracks for others!
Good luck!

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
In all this, we really haven't discussed what caused the "fracture" in the first place...

Is it lack of regular maintenance?

Improper handling technique?

Have you used lubrication ?

Is it just so old it's stuck in the down position...?

Are you even able to get it up...?

It's not leaking, is it..?

Could be an indication of bigger problems....

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
In all this, we really haven't discussed what caused the "fracture" in the first place...

Squidd, you now have 10% more like than before.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS

TMI ! TMI !:eek:

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
I don't need to see a picture of this guys crack to know he has issues...