Another concern about the compression post

Nov 28, 2016
Hunter 29.5 Barnagat
I am a new owner of a 1994 Hunter 29.5. I am concerned about the bottom of the post: it looks like it is compressed into the fiberglass sole. 2 it doesn't seem to be sitting on a cross beem. Is this normal?

Attachments

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
It appears that the mounting plate is attached to a reinforced beam or reinforced grid member. Its difficult to see on the pic; however, there doesn't seem to be any cracks present on the beam nor any compression of the fiberglass surface. You might want to contact Hunter customer service to determine how the fiberglass mount is fabricated. Also search this site and others to determine if there is a common problem. The photo of the mount looks good after 22 years,

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Don't know your model boat, but if you could get some light in the hole and tell us what you see in more detail, it would help us help you. I realize that taking a pic from outside the hole is nigh on to impossible without a lighted borescope camera, so try to be as specific as you can.

Nov 28, 2016
Hunter 29.5 Barnagat
Thank for the help. I thought the compression post would go all the way to the keel. I'm not an engineer but that is a lot of weight, the mast, boom, and sails all on this compression post and the table hangs on the post too.