chasing bubbles

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I've watched the first 16 minutes. One of the opening images is pretty incredible. He's flying two asymmetrical spinnakers, one on each side, at the same time.

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
Just watched the whole thing. I personally really enjoyed the story, definitely one of the best sailing movies I've seen.

Very sad at the end.

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
We really enjoyed this film. Risk taker for sure, but he lived more in those years on voyage than 100 people will in a lifetime.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I loved his quote "I'm the worst sailor who has ever sailed around the world".

Hahaha.... now that is an oxymoron if I have ever heard one.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Interesting Video. Sad ending to an adventurous tale. You can never know where or when the tale will end.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I've always believed that any successful sailing voyage relies on some combination of only three things:
1) Skill
2) Preparation
3) Luck

The more you have of the first two, the less you need of the last.

It's clear that he was leaning heavily on #3. Normally that would not bother me, but his self-absorbed nature needlessly put others at high risk. While the end of the story didn't end on water, it easily could have.

Feb 13, 2016
macgreggor venture 224 ohio river
Great adventure, loved the doc, all those near death experiences on the water and something you cant even see takes you out, Shame!

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
Thank you for posting about this documentary...... I didn't have an hour and a half to sit and watch this so......
of course, I watched the entire thing!!! so glad I did, what a great message and life well lived. This is a sailing video but oh so much more. Touching in so many ways. I will be passing it along.

Sep 6, 2015
Unknown snipe delaware bay
Not to be a kill joy, but why do so many lost souls even after adventures of a lifetime, wind up in some third world country looking for the meaning of life? The adventure was obviously funded by his residual cash that he felt guilty about earning after he left the grid. Yet he still could not find comfort in his own skin?
Happiness is found within. The diversions we partake in supplement the joy, not create it.
Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.
Eric

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
I don't look at his life and adventures and all the people he touched as being an indication of a lost soul. I see him as one who lives fast and furiously, though fueled in part by his sense of loss or seeking to live up to his father, and his was not meant to last 60+ years. As almost all the mates he met and sailed with said, it was bound to be the end of him because he always lived at the top of the risk scale. He clearly moved to a different beat and the connection and ease that he had with other's was so extraordinary. How could he possibly continue to feed that need doing anything ordinary or confined.
I like that he lived and passed on his own terms.....and alone was not even a terrible thing. I ended up really really liking this guy. His tears and the way he rubbed his head furiously when emotions started spilling out... that is a deep sweet soul, not a lost one.

Feb 13, 2016
macgreggor venture 224 ohio river
Awesome video, very few of us could do that, i feel some jealously of others, he did what few could do and done it...he could have partied his butt off and won but he batteled on his hard times, great!

Sep 19, 2016
Catalina 30 Port Sanilac
You tube. Chasing Bubbles. Definitely a good sail boat doc. Check it out
If you like Chasing Bubbles as mush as I did, you should enjoy Sea Change's channel. Fantastic editing and camera work and excellent music mixed in.
is one of my personal favorites. For hipsters these guys know how to live/sail and share it with the world.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
such a great video..... music is perfect and love that they added night views too. There is nothing like seeing lights and trying to figure out how far, how big and who is coming ......or are they going? Thanks for sharing this, i will be passing this one to all my sailing buddies.

Sep 19, 2016
Catalina 30 Port Sanilac
such a great video..... music is perfect and love that they added night views too. There is nothing like seeing lights and trying to figure out how far, how big and who is coming ......or are they going? Thanks for sharing this, i will be passing this one to all my sailing buddies.
Glad you enjoyed it! Their channel only has a handful of videos, but they are all well done.