Marlow Hunter

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
LOL. Man, you have a lot of time on your hands.

My wife and I really enjoyed the show. We went mostly to look for ideas and solutions to small issues, and we are definitely not looking for another boat (except a dinghy). But we left with something we didn't expect - reaffirmation that we bought a boat that works, and will continue to work, for us.

We toured the current version of the H31, and sure, it had some stuff we don't have, but it felt soulless - maybe because it has no stories to tell yet, but still... I didn't ask what it cost, because we aren't shopping, but it is a LOT compared to what we have in ours.

We also went on a few larger boats. Two or three in the neighborhood of 40 to 45 feet, a used 49' Wauquiz, and a 50 footer. Can't even remember who made what, as nothing wowed me. My impressions were the vast increase in the mass of the boat, and the increase in the size of the hardware. It really brought home what we tell new shoppers - bigger boats are exponentially more expensive because EVERYTHING is bigger. It was nice to walk away from the show saying to ourselves that, although it might have been pure luck, we think we bought the right first boat.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
All you need to do is go to
Marlow Hunter.com and the new Hunters on available for viewing with
in and out photo's.
But when we were in side these new sailboats at st pete they were very impressive for sure.
And we got to meet the Head Misstress.
Nick

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Yes, it was nice to talk to Peggie in person instead of by phone. She told us the story of her original nickname (which she didn't care for) before she was coined the Headmistress.

Bob R.

Jun 5, 2004
Marlow-Hunter 40 Pasadena, MD
Thanks Scott B for the MH 42SS layout diagram and SFS for the 2 photos of the boat. I was surprised that the boat had a single helm. I was expecting a 2 helm layout. The sheet winches on the combings appear too far forward to work with a 2 helm setup. I also see the 2 steps up from the cockpit to the companionway bridge, but they do have a tall dodger for access thru the companionway. The cabin top winches look hard to reach from the cockpit. Can you reach the rope clutches and winch with one foot up on the step or do you need to step all the way up to the bridge? Did anyone notice how much headroom there is above the bed under the cockpit?

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Bob, don't know if this helps, but I was on one new boat (don't remember the manufacturer) that had what pilots call a "throwover" helm. With a foot operated release, the helm went from vertical to a position to port and to starboard. You would simply choose based on the tack you were on. Degree of "tilt"was about 30 degrees I would guess. Maybe the 42SS has this feature - I did not go aboard.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
No I do not think so and pretty sure center helm and a big swing seat
The 47 had a a port to starboard moving helm.
I am always at the center of helm
so I can see my chartplotter with a added seat I cuctom made seat on my H 36