Rehabilitating a sailboat stored outdoors for 10 years

Jul 13, 2016
Lancer 30 Buckboard Marina, Wyoming
The boat doesn't look all that bad.
The cabin sole is an insert (confirm) and not part of the hull. Therefore, freeze crack from water under it is only cosmetic.
However, if it were my boat in your circumstances:
You're just too far away. Even if you fix it up, it will deteriorate again in the same fashion. The amount of work that it needs, none DIY, will be too costly.
Sell it. It's worth several thousand, especially with a good diesel.
Take the money and buy a newer 22-ish footer with an outboard. Easy maint, even tow it home to monitor and do winter tasks.
And enjoy sailing.
Don’s reply: Yes, the cabin sole is an integral part of the separate interior liner.

If we were still young and at our peak earning years, we could afford the contract labor for maintenance, which is less rigorous in fresh water as opposed to salt water.

The problem with selling it is that the market is pretty thin in Wyoming, where stinkpotters outnumber ragmen by at least 100:1. Also, Buckboard Marina is just a tiny speck on the vast high desert with the nearest community of Green River (pop.12,500 ) some 25 miles away. A further complication is that although Wyoming people are no strangers to the wind and its effects, they are unaware that it can propel boats too.

Downsizing to a 22 footer would be painful for me as my memories of skippering 42 and 46-footers will forever haunt me. That said, we do have two 4WD trucks, both with towing packages. We would have to time the weather carefully, because the Wyoming wind frequently blows over 18-wheelers, sometimes three or more at a time.

If we scrap the boat, I'm wondering if I can convert the 22 HP Yanmar diesel into an emergency standby generator for our home.

Jul 13, 2016
Run a add interview prospects find a young couple and pass your dream on with a contract to take you and wife sailn one more time
Don’s reply: I’m not sure such a couple exists in Wyoming. Nearby Green River is working community where many are employed in the trona mines. They may not have the time, energy or resources to undertake such a challenging project. Those who have been successful in business are attracted to the 40-foot cabin cruisers. We are the one of the few (and mostly small) sailboats in the marina. The only other 30 footer has been stored in the yard for a long time, too.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
that Myanmar (thanks auto correct) is worth $$ to some backyard mechanic. cleats, winches, etc. amy be worth salvaging. our volunteer fire department (and may be yours) is always looking for stuff to set on fire so folks can practice fire fighting. but i don't even know if a VFD would want to deal with plastic and fibregals fumes.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE="MitchM,.... but i don't even know if a VFD would want to deal with plastic and fibregals fumes.[/QUOTE]

Around here, the departments near the water have on the water practices.

Jul 13, 2016

"Don's reply."

Are you a bot?
Nope, I'm a Certified Fraud Examiner specialized in investigating and litigating cases of financial exploitation of the elderly. It's just my focus on due diligence and proper organization that makes me look like a bot. Why would a bot need a sailboat? See my website http://donrudi.com.

Jul 13, 2016
[QUOTE="MitchM,.... but i don't even know if a VFD would want to deal with plastic and fibregals fumes.
Around here, the departments near the water have on the water practices.[/QUOTE]

Don's reply: Yes, fumes would be problematic and how would you dispose of the gooey toxic remains? And there is the issue of what to do with two tons of lead keel ballast. Some of my friends are into reloading ammo but our truck maxes out at 3/4 ton and I am not enthusiastic about cutting up a big chunk of lead with a chainsaw. I suggested that we tow the boat out into the 400 ft deep area of Green River channel and open the seacocks, but evidently the forest service would take issue with that. Plus, think of all the fishermens' lures that would be lost getting snagged in the rigging.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE="justsomeguy, At a scrap price of around $0.70/pound, what issue would that be?[/QUOTE]

I should have said they usually use power boat carcasses.

Jul 13, 2016
Please forgive me, I just had to ask. The third-person referral in your replies is quite unusual.

I hope you can resolve this old boat issue without too great an expense.
I'm new to this site and I guess iI carried over my habits from other forums where there so much traffic and off-topic banter that the thread becomes confusing. (an eclectic collection of diverse interests: international economic development, cervical spine surgery, elder abuse, dog rescue and therapy dog training)

On another note, I was raised in Mexico where my dad was head of the Mexican subsidiary of a US company. He retired in Manzanillo for the last 25 years of his life and we did a lot of coastal sailing in his Ericson 25 and his friends' Catalina 30, Tayana 37 and Kiwi 40. I was in Puerto Peñasco decades ago. One of my Mexican friends told me that if I ever had problems in Puerto Peñasco I should go see his good buddy "El Cara de Perro" who would set things right.