Micro soot bubble

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Ken, how did the injectors look when you pulled them ? Other than an endless supply of bad fuel (impossible), you've got me as to what is causing the soot.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
My record shows the injectors were put in 4yrs ago (new). So do I suppose its timely to send them in for servicing?

Jan 4, 2006
My record shows the injectors were put in 4yrs ago (new).
New, 4 years ago, may be a little recent but that does not mean something unusual has happened to them in those four years. I've been waiting for an engine performance problem as an indicator of possible injector problems. So far at 17 years and about 100 hrs/year, engine still runs smoothly.

Sorry, I know that still doesn't solve your problem.

Oct 29, 2005
On average I do about 120hrs/yr. This has been my 2nd set of injectors. Not sure if 1st set was bad or what so put in new 4yrs ago just for good luck. Anyway will send it in to the car injector service centre next week to see if spray pattern is still ok. If its good then I suppose injectors servicing period could be lengthen.

Jan 4, 2006
Please let us know what their opinion of the spray pattern is. Curious as to why your injectors seem to have a shortened life.

Oct 29, 2005
Please let us know what their opinion of the spray pattern is. Curious as to why your injectors seem to have a shortened life.
I'm not sure if its shorten life. I'm trying to solve micro soot bubble so sending injectors for checks.
Observation: I removed both injectors and notice #1 is dry but #2 is wet (diesel) around the cylindrical portion that slots into top head. I'll post photos when have access to pc.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Is it really that bad to worry about and as your engine is getting older and older and wear and tear
will maybe allow for some oil or most likely not burning all the fuel is very possible,but if engine is running good and starts easy and don't have black smoke coming out exhaust to me is pretty good,maybe but maybe a value adjustment may be needed.
Check air cleaner or replace is easy and check fuel filters and change engine oil sooner is all I would do,
but getting the mixing elbo hot with heat ????? I had my elbo heated with torch only so to take apart and it sure did rust so bad that the 2 pieces blew a part at the double threaded while motoring and now when I replaced it they give stainless double threaded part.
I cleaned my mixing elbo with pointed chiesels and hitting the sides with hammer worked real good.
Nick

Oct 29, 2005
SD, I've done all that you mentioned. Indeed engine runs great but just that on long trips I'm getting micro soot bubble and it stains the transom. I'm seeing smoke at night when running probably because the stern light illuminate it. Day time not easy to see smoke but can smell it. I think it burning lube oil 'cos after several days of running my oil level is right at bottom of dip stick. You're right about old engine. Nevertheless I'll have the Injectors checked. Don't think I'll do anything major to the engine since she's still running smooth abiet the micro soot bubble.

Jan 4, 2006
I think it burning lube oil 'cos after several days of running my oil level is right at bottom of dip stick.
I think you've solved the problem. After a summer of running and about 100 hrs. I don't think my oil level has dropped by more than 1/4" at most (mind you, I'm not recording the drop). You have heavy oil loss.

Problems may be a stuck ring, glazed cylinder walls, or ................................. ? ? ?

Oct 29, 2005
Problems may be a stuck ring, glazed cylinder walls, or ................................. ? ? ?
Don't know. How do I check for these? I know my compression wasn't all that great but pretty close between the 2 cylinders when done 4 years back. Hmmm...perhaps I'll do compression check after i get the injectors back.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
What type engine oil are you using,could be worn rings or value guides and if needing to add engine oil after long engine running tells me you are burning oil
and maybe not fuel so why new injectors and or fuel passing rings or value.
Nick

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
See Chamber #2 and wet and #1 is dry. Also #2 seems to have a little more carbon.
Sorry I can't give you any first hand experience with doing a compression test as I haven't gotten there yet.
Check out this procedure from the SELOC manual. In this case, a better write-up than the Yanmar shop manual. Doesn't look too encouraging as far as your problem with burning oil..

Attachments

Oct 29, 2005
Sorry I can't give you any first hand experience with doing a compression test as I haven't gotten there yet.
Check out this procedure from the SELOC manual. In this case, a better write-up than the Yanmar shop manual. Doesn't look too encouraging as far as your problem with burning oil..
Ralph, thanks. Helpful indeed.

Oct 29, 2005
Ok I got my injectors back from shop. Spray pattern good. No change of parts. So it seems after 4yrs (about 500 running hrs) injectors are still A-OK.
I'll put it back this weekend and do the compression check as well. Cheers!

Mar 5, 2012
Hunter 37-cutter Saint Augustine
Gentlemen, I just want to put my 2 cents worth but I work at a county fleet garage. and have many problem with motors getting coked up from running all day. Ilive in florida and these guy leave the air conditioning on 10 hous a day. with that said I get a lot of trucks with clogged egr valves and clogged cats. I used to replace the egr valves but always wondered how I could clean them to save money. there is a product out that I am sure you have heard about called sea foam, I used this to soak the egr valves and low and behold they look like new.and last about a year.then one day a product rep came to the shop demonstating various uses for there products one was how th clean fuel injectors and exhaust. I dont think that would be a problem for us boaters but the injection cleaning was a good idea, it would entail removing the water fuel filter seperator, replace filter and fill with sea foam. run the eng at about 1000 rpm for 15 minutes and stop the motor let it sit for a while and then start back up and runn the eng for 2000 rpms for another 15 minutes.thats it. on some of the older equipment you can tell the differance in the motors running smoother. sounds like simple maintenance for 8 dollars a can.

Oct 29, 2005
Tested both cylinders with Compression Tester. Both reading 220+psi. So both cylinders are balance/same in compression. That's a surprise to me but I guess it is expected....right?

Attachments