Removing the boom

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
I have a 1984 Oday 28. I'll be taking the standing rigging down for inspection and to install an antenna and fix wires. I need to remove the boom as part of this. It is not clear to me how to do this, see the photos it is not like any other boom connection I've noticed
IMG_6072.JPG
IMG_6073.JPG

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
You need to lift the far end of the boom until it's pretty far up (probably more than half way towards vertical). Once you do you should be able to pull the boom away from the mast (in the upward direction that the boom is pointed) and it will disengage. Be sure to have the vang and sheet removed first. If your topping lift runs through the boom you should tie a messenger line to the end of the lift, then pull the topping lift out and tie the messenger line in place on both ends so it's ready to pull the TL back through in the spring.

That gooseneck (the two half ball shaped things on the mast) should be held in place by metal semi-circular clips. It looks like the clips were lost on yours, so when you pull the boom off the bottom half will likely fall away (and obviously end up in the water).

Replacement clips (and balls if you lose half) can be procured from Rig-Rite. I think it's the one at http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Isomat_Spars/Isomat_Booms/NB26_oldstyl_gsnk_assem.html kit NB1-5K for the whole thing, or NB1-6 for the clips.

Best practice is to store the balls and clips somewhere safe for the winter, then reinstall just before putting the boom back on.

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
I removed the lines from the boom then lifted the boom aft end high as you prescribed then tried pull it of the socket by the mast and it would not disengage. We lowered it back to a near horizontal position and somehow it popped off and was free. I'm sure how though. I've posted pictures of the boom where it attaches and the parts that came free. Also photos of where the topping lift was jury rigged and the outhaul configuration is odd. Plus my main sheet traveler appears to have been redone with mis-matched parts on each side of the boat and some wood shims too. A fairly screwy rig from what I can see.
IMG_6101.jpg
IMG_6108.jpg
IMG_6105.jpg
IMG_6110.jpg
IMG_6111.jpg
IMG_6112.jpg
IMG_6116.jpg
IMG_6118.jpg
IMG_6102.jpg
IMG_6103.jpg
IMG_6101.jpg
IMG_6108.jpg
IMG_6105.jpg
IMG_6116.jpg
IMG_6118.jpg
IMG_6102.jpg
IMG_6103.jpg

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I removed the lines from the boom then lifted the boom aft end high as you prescribed then tried pull it of the socket by the mast and it would not disengage. We lowered it back to a near horizontal position and somehow it popped off and was free. I'm sure how though. I've posted pictures of the boom where it attaches and the parts that came free. Also photos of where the topping lift was jury rigged and the outhaul configuration is odd. Plus my main sheet traveler appears to have been redone with mis-matched parts on each side of the boat and some wood shims too. A fairly screwy rig from what I can see
My guess is that when you lifted the end of the boom you went past the point where it can disengage, then on the way back down you went through that point and it did disengage so it came off. Sometimes it does take a bit of wiggling to get the angle right. Whatever you did glad it worked and just reverse the steps to reinstall. Our 28 had the mainsheet traveller across the bridge deck, so I don't know what it's really supposed to look like on the cabin roof and how what you have might compare to OEM. The topping lift is definitely improvised. The original ran through the boom to the cam cleats in the boom at the gooseneck. The original wasn't really a great setup (kind of hard to get much leverage) so if what you have works then I guess stick with it. I can't tell from the pictures exactly what is strange about the outhaul. The OEM did have a wire outhaul, spliced to line inside the boom, with the line held by the cam cleat in the forward end of the boom. There may have been a 2:1 block inside the boom for that as well.