Broken Furling Drum

Nov 29, 2016
Beneteau 281 Toronto
Hi,

I have a 1997 ZSpar furling drum with a broken top disc. Please see image attached. I have no luck finding a replacement part. ZSpar does not stock anymore. I've looked into 3D printing a replacement, but that was going to cost about $300. Any ideas where I might find this part? Or an entire ZSPar furling drum of this vintage?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Brian

Jul 17, 2011
Beneteau oceans 321 Saint John
How did part get broken?Impact ,age?The reason I ask is what condition is the rest of the system in.Is it worth replacing this one part or is it time to purchase a new system?
(if worth repairing check with a machine shop they might be able to fabricate the part)

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I wonder if a new one can be made from a flat aluminum disc? Or does the top/bottom have to be curved for some reason?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
A half inch 6" x 6" aluminum plate sells for around $30. Cutting the corners to make it into a disk and drilling bolt holes is not a big deal and it will likely outlive the rest of the furler.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
buy 1/4 inch aluminum plate and a 6 inch hole saw or what ever outside diameter is and a hole saw for the inner diameter.
cut outside first ,then inside ,then use the broken piece as a template to drill the 3 holes 120 degrees apart ...done and perfect match.

Nov 29, 2016
Beneteau 281 Toronto
Thanks all for the ideas and advice. I found some aluminum disks that may work ok. I haven't given up on the 3D printing just yet. I have 5 more months of winter to resolve this issue.

Thanks again.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
And does it really have to be made into a round piece? Will square fit and maybe save some dough?