Tiller tamer

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
I don't know, I have grown fond of my Catalina Direct tiller stay. I'm a small lake sailor so a tiller pilot is not practical for me. I simply don't have runs on the same tack that are long enough to justify the expense. I also singlehand most of the time so I do need a way hold course temporarily while I tend to other tasks that require me to step away from the helm. The clutch is perfect for that, or my old tried and true method of a line running stern cleat to stern cleat with a clove hitch around the tiller.

But the reality is locking the tiller solid only works for a few moments. Depending on wind strength and point of sail, It typically works just long enough to step into the cabin to grab a drink or rush forward to hoist or douse sails and then rush back. Maintaining course for more than a few moments requires frequent, if not constant steering adjustments, and that is just not possible with a clutch. I prefer the feel of a tiller for all the same reasons that Jackdaw mentioned, but as I have grown older steering a tiller for hours just isn't as fun as it once was. For me, if I grip anything for very long (fishing pole, bicycle handlebar, dog leash, etc.) my hands go numb fast. After double carple tunnel surgery last year and with the arthritis in my fingers getting worse every year, being able to take my hands off the tiller often helps out a lot.

The CD tiller stay is perfect for me because of it's spring tension. although it holds tiller position very solid when hove to or on the mooring, it is also very easily adjusted while underway. I can engage the stay when I need to give my hands a break and if I start to fall off course a bit simply bump the tiller one way or another and it stays where I put it. Depending on weather I'm sitting, standing, laying down or my hands are busy fiddling with the GoPro, I can make steering adjustments with my elbow, hip, knee or even my toes. The whole thing releases instantly when I don't need it and it onlt takes a second to re-engage it when I do. I've known about the CD tiller stay for years but probably never would have tried it had it not already been on my boat when I bought it. I'm glad it was because I really like it.