Annapolis show

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
He apparently added contract clauses and additional warranties to his sale agreement that the Wauquiez sales agent signed off on. Both likely thinking they had gotten the best of the other, when in fact everyone lost (except for the lawyers)!

JSumme

Jul 21, 2015
Marlow-Hunter e33 Alexandria
Yep, I just read the attached judgement and it seems Fawzy got what he wanted. To hurt Waquiez here in the U.S. He got the boat impounded for the show. I'm sympathetic to Fawzy because a similar thing happened to me in the middle of the Chesapeake on my initial cruise in my new boat. The laws of MD and the laws of the U.S. don't support the individual owner!

Jun 24, 2014
Catalina 36 Mk II #2124 Crystal River
I just read the attachment also. I tend to agree with you JSumme. Dr. Fawzy has pending legal challenges in France with regarding Waquiez. Dr. Fawzy was playing hardball with Waquiez and this time Dr. Fawzy won. I am sure Waquiez was playing the rope a dope game and they lost. Waquiez learned one hard lesson. PR really sucks when you're on the wrong side of it.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
He claims - “near death experience in the middle of the Atlantic due to the defective product and components [and] personal injury to a Captain in 2012 while onboard the Vessel due to the recurring problems with the boom and main sail"

Seems they drifted with the tide for a few hours. And his skipper walked into the boom. Federal case!

The district court ruling dismissing this POS was longer then the original suit.

Jun 24, 2014
Catalina 36 Mk II #2124 Crystal River
I wasn't trying to defend either party. I can not tell from the ruling if there is any fault on either parties behalf. But I do know Waquiez lost the public relations game whether deserved or not.

Nov 8, 2010
I wasn't trying to defend either party. I can not tell from the ruling if there is any fault on either parties behalf. But I do know Waquiez lost the public relations game whether deserved or not.
for sure.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I don't know, I'm kinda sympathetic to Wauquiez - getting swung around by some guy and his lawyer. I suppose it is an occupational hazard when you are selling custom boats to wealthy guys used to getting their way and willing to spend money to keep it that way. In this case looks like Wauquiez would have been well served offering to buy the boat back and putting paper in front of Fawzy that would have sealed his pie hole. Sometimes you have to fire a customer.

Nov 8, 2010
I don't know, I'm kinda sympathetic to Wauquiez - getting swung around by some guy and his lawyer. I suppose it is an occupational hazard when you are selling custom boats to wealthy guys used to getting their way and willing to spend money to keep it that way. In this case looks like Wauquiez would have been well served offering to buy the boat back and putting paper in front of Fawzy that would have sealed his pie hole. Sometimes you have to fire a customer.
Indeed. Hell, my general reaction is to CELEBRATE my 'near death experiences' and not try and sue the crap of anyone who was anywhere near.

JSumme

Jul 21, 2015
Boat builders need to take responsibility for their problems and mistakes. We don't know what happened on the ocean to Fawzy and his Captain. Jackdaw minimizes the impact to the owner and the captain, but to do that we need more facts. What I do know is my daughter and I sailed away in a brand new Hunter into the Chesapeake in July of 2014 and out in the middle of the bay off Point Lookout the furler parted and the mast came down. I had possession of the boat for less than a week when it happened. No one expects that! It was determined that the rigger did not assemble the furler correctly, putting my daughter and I in needless danger. However, the laws of Maryland don't allow one to sue for anything other than repair of the boat if insurance doesn't cover it. (Insurance did cover it completely...GO PROGRESSIVE!) Anyway, this was a sea story I could live without! And no compensation or even sympathy for the terror, time, and money we had to spend to get everything back to normal. How am I going to characterize Marlow Hunter and the dealership after that experience? It took from July to Oct to get the boat seaworthy again. Law suits exist for a reason. And I understand the dealership no longer exists. Another reason Hunter wasn't at the boat show!

Nov 8, 2010
I guess I have a higher sense of personal responsibility than that. Every aspect of the boat is mine. Rig falling down? Didn't you inspect it? I'd never get on a new boat without a full rig inspection. Every sail begins with a quick walk-around.

JSumme

Jul 21, 2015
Of course I inspected it. I had several "sea trial" sails on the boat prior to taking possession with no apparent problems, many with the sales Rep along. But I'm sure, even with your apparent experience, you would have failed to spot the fact that the splines of the stay had been threaded wrong through the furler connection and no lock tite was used as directed in the assembly instructions. It simply came unscrewed. That's what the professionals determined was the proximate cause of the accident. In any case, one doesn't expect a newly rigged boat by a professional rigger to just come apart three weeks after he rigs it. If you can't see the fault, you can't correct it. Your "quick walk around" wouldn't have even gotten you close to the problem. You must be great sailor what with all your criticisms of others without the facts...

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
jsumme; Sorry to hear but it sounds like the dealer used someone who did not know the proper way to assemble a furler. If it had been Tidewater as they were the previous dealer, that would not have happened. Also, I would have Bert Jabins in Annapolis go over your boat if you have any questions to make sure.

JSumme

Jul 21, 2015
I agree, I trust Bert Jabins, that's where the boat was delivered and hoisted into the water. Unfortunately, a place called Legend Yacht Sales had the Marlow Hunter dealership in 2013-14 when I was buying my boat. In fact, the boat was in a slip right beside Jabin's while we were working out the kinks. Some odd stuff happened, like my stainless steel arch was sent to France with a new boat and the arch that came with my boat wouldn't fit, so Hunter had to fly someone to Annapolis to cut the arch a re-weld it. Lots of odd little things like that happened. But I really trust a place called Zahnhiser's in the Solomon's. That's where my boat was towed, and my insurance company contracted with Zahnhiser's to make the repairs. They did a fantastic job. And now I completely trust my boat. In fact, I'm heading out to go sailing right now. Thanks.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Yah, Zahniser's is top notch. I have had friends get repairs there, of the serious kind, and the work was outstanding. There are so many variations on how boat yards work on boats because some places are just rip joints and then others are outstanding. The outstanding places usually stay that way while the good employees are there. If those employees leave then it makes you nervous to go there until you know the rep of the new employees.

I hate to see any boat manufacturer struggle. It was sad to not see Hunter at the show. I am wondering if next show it will be even less. I also wonder if there will be any new Hunter Dealers on the east coast or if Hunter is on the way out. I also wonder how many people actually go to the boat show to buy a new boat versus those of us who go just to look.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
BO according to the emailI received from Dave Marlow, neither the 47 nor the 42 were were properly fit and finished in time to be at the show and those were the two boats he most wanted to show. He went on to say that the slips and trucking were paid for but he did not want to show up with an imperfect product, and because he has no debt and no venture capitalists to answer to the decision to go was solely at his discretion. I don't believe Marlow-Hunter has debt or is in trouble of closing but I don't think your going to see the discount pricing or the large production numbers of old. Whether that is a good or bad thing remains to be seen.

Last edited:

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Well..............
Guess i'm going to give up waiting for a good story from the show.
Was planning to attend next year but don't want to be placed on on suicide watch after being there
So i guess next year is now a maybe