hunter 356

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
meant to post this here, not in just big boats, sorry

Is what the CFO, Admiral whatever she is this week, has settled on.
We looked at 350s(my choice), we looked at bendy toes 351s.
But the 356 gives us the best layout for the family, and I quite like the look, a lot!
So, any 356 owners here? we are just starting the rounds of looking at boats, any "gotchas" we should know about? items to definitely check on these boats?
How about first year upgrades that are on the list?
Moving up from an O'day 25 so a lot of new ground to learn here guys and gals

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Look up in the archives for Jim Seaman/JAVA who use to own a Hunter 356 as there were many articles he wrote on this boat that he improved, fixed, maintained, sailed and so forth as he use to sail on the Chesapeake and also in the Islands. He is deceased but they were informative.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Great boat! Bought ours new in 2003 and have spent 1005 days on it in 14 seasons. Get a 5kw Northern Lights generator and put a full dodger, Bimini and enclosure on the cockpit. This allows full use of your HVAC when at other than the dock. That will give you much flexibility for how and when you use it and provide major comfort for your family in all weather conditions.

Check out Zarcor and get some bi-fold doors for the companionway. The hatch boards stay stored in the port lazzarette until you may need them. Also Zarcor has plastic slatted sliding blinds for the overhead hatches, overhead saloon skylights, and saloon lower windows. Highly recommend.

Possibly add a freezer under the Nav Station. Our model has top loading refrig/freezer with large refrigeration and freezer space; current models have too small freezer area in top of dorm style refrigerator. Change out the toilet to an electric Sea Era, pipe your hvac condensate pan to the shower sump. Add wash down pump and put outlet with hose in anchor well and at stern. Add a MaxProp.

For Cruising: Make sure you have a spinnaker halyard to get a dinghy up on deck forward of the mast. Add at minimum a pole mounted crane for rail mounted outboard for your dinghy. We did plus have a KVH satellite antenna for Dish Network on top. Below decks Autopilot plus Chartplotter/AIS/Radar. Add a GoLight LED light on the bow if you plan on cruising and anchoring at night.

These are the major things we have added. Makes ours most user friendly. We are on Kentucky Lake but have taken our boat to Florida for a 6 month cruise.i have added a lot more little things to make life easier. Take care of the big things first when you commission.

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
jerry! perfect, just what I'm looking for.
Sad, and embarrassed to say, I've never flown a down wind sail! and god knows the 356 needs one I know, but that will be something to look forward to.
Any build issues you've seen over your years of ownership?
Anything you say "jeese, I wish hunter did/did not do xxx"?
The gen issue, makes a lot of sense, where did you mount your genset?

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Genset 1.JPG
Genset w sound frame.JPG
Genset w sound cover.JPG
I don't have a spinnaker, just the halyard. I use it to get my dinghy on and off the foredeck. The 356 is not great dead downwind, but better at broadreaching.

My wife and I determined what we both wanted when we bought our 356. Since she had a lot to do with it, she is willing to use it a lot - yesterday was day 1008! How many people other than full time cruisers use a boat that much?

My generator is in the port lazzerette. I had a custom sound shield made for it. See photos. 65 decibels in the cockpit and about the same in the Master stateroom. A little less in the saloon.

Some minor items: Get Speed Seal Life units for Yanmar and Generator. Get a Safe H20 filtration system and mount under the starboard saloon seat - $235 plus $53 annual maintenance so your water is always pure no matter where you pick it up. Use Peggy Hall's water commissioning system each spring. Put nylon T's at all thru hulls so you can winterized easily. Use Lifeline AGM batteries - too hard to get to lead acid to replenish water. If you get a dinghy and outboard, I highly recommend the Lehr. It starts and avoids the problems with gas.

Electronics: I have old Pathfinder Raymarine and have a 6000 below decks autopilot. Will change out soon to new Raymarine with hybrid touch. I have radar, sonar, and a Digital Yacht IAIS receiver only. In new setup, I will get the above and change out my AIS to transmit and receive. I have current ability to see AIS on 5 iPad/IPhones and like and use this feature extensively. Radar and AIS are complimentary and I use both and want both. Also sonar is very helpful when anchoring. I split the screen when going into an anchorage and watch the bottom depth. It was very helpful in SW Florida when coming and going in some places.

I have had no real problems with our 356, othermthan some aggravating issues with the roller furling main. It's because my mainsail is old and blown out and I need to change it. Until last couple of years, it was not a problem. I just changed out my cutlass bearing and had my MaxProp reconditioned. We have 1281.1 Yanmar hours, 3133.4 Northern Lights hours and have sailed 7658 NM (8811 SM). Sails are on the list for replacement next year.

It is a lot of boat for the length and a lot of people who come on-board are amazed at the amount of interior space we have. I have had several people say we have more space than a lot of 40 foot boats. Follow Dave Condon's advice on looking at Java projects. A lot of us that bought early 356's and used them extensively had done similar projects. Jim documented Java's well.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Ditto on what Jerry said! we ordered Escape in 2002 and have enjoyed sailing her since - great boat, Glenn Henderson's first design for Hunter - fast, stable, fun to sail and roomy! We had originally planned to move up - bigger boat - but haven't felt the need. Upgrades instead. No major issues, but some of the early 356's had some deck leaks - we rebedded all of our deck hardware. Early upgrades included an Autoprop feathering prop - well worth it, upgraded sails, an asym spinnaker and a Doyle UPS gennaker. Later upgrades included a new SIMRAD 12" MFD at the helm and a broadband radar - well worth it where we sail in Maine. Added a larger Rocna with all chain rode and a class B AIS. The generator installation is easy because Hunter plumbed the fuel tank for the generator and there is a blank in the hull- in the lazarette where the generator goes - for the thru hull exhaust.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Ditto on Jim's web site for sure and he did help me make some up grades on my
2007 36/356.
I do have Zorcor compioion way doors and their shades only on the small windows
and went with the shades with sliding shades or screens just like Jim did.
I love my FP Gen for AC and I added solar off the arch was easy.
I went with Flex O Fold and so easy to use and no greasing or maintance too.
I have Ocean Marine Davits.
Like already said check Jim Java's web site for great info and ask here and they will help and I vote the Sea Era head also.
Nick

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
Really like the boat and have a lot of the same upgrades as listed above, this is our 3rd season.

Already had a 4.2KW EntecWest generator in the port side lazzerette with stainless sound shield, great for when away from the dock. Also the wash down pump in the anchor locker, Chesapeake is very muddy.

Added windlass and upgraded to bigger anchor with more chain. Also an anchor riding sail to help with sailing on the hook.

Autopilot to assist when sailing and also allow solo sailing. Would not have a boat without it.

Upgraded from large Bimini to a new dodger (with lots of hand holds), connector and Bimini with zippers all the way around to add inclosure later if we want.
Added port side clutch and spinnaker halyard for dinghy riding on cabin top and for whisker pole and later asymmetrical spinnaker sail. Will add additional starboard clutch to run vang line back to cockpit so all lines accessible from cockpit.

Davits are on the list as well as MFD chart plotter / radar upgrade, and solar.
Jeff

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
went to see the first of three 356s today, crazy amount of storage and the port storage in the cockpit really could be made into a third stateroom,lol.
Any concerns with the outer chain plates? Don't see any way to access them to check for corrosion, non issue?
Also, this was on the hard, and around the top front of the keel was a "smile"
I assume this is fairing material that needs re doing along with a keel bolt check?

Jun 7, 2004
- - Milwaukee
We bought ours in 2002, a 2003 model. We enjoy it immensely. "We" is my wife and I and occasionally one of our now adult daughters. We sail out of Milwaukee. I have not done anywhere near the upgrades others have mentioned. I did get a cruising spinnaker and sock from Quantum, which I can set myself if needed. We got our bimini and dodger locally from Boat Tailors at the suggestion of our dealer, rather than go with the factory canvas. I added a feathering kiwi prop in place of the fixed 3-blade, and it sails much better, especially in light air. We went with the full main, not furling main, which I think is a really nice sail. Upwind performance is so-so, and not too good at all in light air, but I guess one could add a bigger head sail. On the other hand, most of us motor upwind in light air. It flies off the wind. I've always felt safe in this boat. Other additions I've made have to do with mainsail reefing, which won't be a factor if you get the furling main, but I'm glad to provide details. We do not have a/c or generator, since we dock in a slip and have shore power. The microwave crapped out this summer. There is a bit of a leak at the top of the pole supporting the mast but as others (including, I think, Jim on Java mentioned above) have noted, one could spend probably a couple of thousand trying to hunt that down or one could mop up the few drops now and then. We choose the latter. I see no structural issues. What we like: Roominess above and below, big boat feel, separate cabins for cruising, ability to short- or single-hand, especially with autopilot, the way it glides through the water on anything but a beat, without much of a wake. I took it 120 mi to Door County myself this summer, then was joined by daughter and her husband one weekend and my wife another. A great trip. Anchored out on my own as well. I added Weaver brackets to the stern this summer for our hard dinghy and they fit beautifully. No hoisting. I doubt we'll ever get another big boat. This one's a keeper.

Mar 20, 2004
The outers are hard to see - you can probably get to them only by removing furniture;the inners are easy, right underthe strip that joins the two headliner sections. look up under the seat lockers - maybe with an inspection camera. look closely at the deck around the chainplatesand check the condition of the caulking.
No kidding about the lazarette! my adult daughter can stand on the battery box with the lid closed!
The "smile" is just that - polyester fairing that is quite brittle. check in the bilge area to look for delamination to determine if there was a grounding problem. the keel stub on the 356 is really robust and the keel is bonded with 5200 as well as bolted. People have decided to reseal the joint, removed the keelbolt nuts and lifted the hull - and picked up the keel too.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
I had the "smile" when I went on the hard this summer for a MaxProp refurbishment and cutlass bearing. I have a stern pole with a KVH tracking antenna and after setting my boat down and backing out, the travelift hit my brand new antenna. When I relaunched about 6 weeks later, I had the smile. We filled it with 5200 and could only turn the forward keelboat nut less than 1/4 turn. No residual problems.
Someone mentioned a leak at the mast post. Easily fixed by making sure you fully seal the stainless cable plate where the mast cables come through the deck. The problem I had was condensation from heating/cooling the interior causing condensation on the interior of the stainless cover, not a real leak. Resealed fully from outside by using clear silicone, which is easily removable if you drop the mast, around all the wires. Problem solved.

Attachments

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
Jerry, that's exactly what I saw on the keel
The more I'm reading about these 356s. the happier I'm feeling about our decision to find one!
They seem very well built for the type of sailing we'll do.
Not sure I understand the leak around the mast post? is this the two ugly solid stays?

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
Sailing the B&R rig DDW is slow if the wind isn't blowing strong. In protected waters you can do wing on wing but offshore you need to bear up a little. I had a Asymmetrical spinnaker but after rarely using it and being frustrated with it when I did, I finally just gave it away. My preferred downwind sailing is wing on wing with jib poled out to windward and no deeper than AWA of 165 (swell swings the boat to 180 at times). I can go as high as AWA of 130 before needing to move the jib over to the other side for a standard broad reaching sails. If wind is strong I will pole out the jib and sail DDW with just the jib. I need 15 knots true wind to make 5 knots in the water like that.

The swept-back spreaders have become annoying to me, especially when the sails get stretched. If I were to buy a different boat, most likely I would pick something else due to the swept back spreaders.

Jun 7, 2004
- - Milwaukee
Re mast support "leak," interesting thought re condensation, I'll have to check that out. We get a lot of hull condensation on the uninsulated hull below the sole due to cold lake water vs warm outside air, and it's entirely possible we're getting that inside the liner in spots. Capt. M, we're talking (or I am, I guess) about moisture that appears at the top of the stainless pole in the cabin that is part of the dinette, then trickles down to the table level. The dinette table sort of slides on the pole, and the pole serves as a support for the mast step, running from the keel to the cabin top. I've tried various caulkings around the top of the plate on deck, but since I (gulp) have never had the mast off, have not had access to the hole in the plate that Jerry mentioned.

When I had our main in to the sail loft for a tuneup, they added Kevlar patches in way of the spreaders, and that has dealt nicely with any chafing issues. Franklin's description of wing on wing is a good approach. I mentioned flying a spin, but 15K of wind is about the upper limit single or short handed, at least with the chute I have, so I'd go with main and jib at that point anyway. Even with a full crew, 15K would be a lot of wind for our chute. I'd probably go with main or reefed main DDW (or bearing off slightly) rather than jib only in 15K+. In fact, our all-time peg-out was 14K, briefly, heading basically DDW with single-reefed main, when we caught a wave. One of the things that I really like about the 356 is that even in that wind and the choppy Lake Michigan waves, I could "heave to" by bring the boat up to about 50 or 60 degrees apparent that day, trimming the main to just luff, and holding it there, no engine required. It rode the waves quite well there, forereaching at a couple knots, plenty calm enough for bathroom breaks, etc., with just a light hand on the wheel. That's also how I position it for reefing or dropping main shorthanded, without motoring. It is a surprising and pleasant feature. As you can tell, I'm a fan.

Mar 20, 2004
beginning of flotilla 2011 033.JPG
DSCN1893.JPG
P8050978.JPG
I had the same issue as Jerry with the leak at the cable pass thru - it's the small plate beside the mast where the cables go thru - clear silicone caulk stopped the water working down around the cables and it easily peels off if you pull the mast.
All right, some flotilla pictures from Maine, including a storm with 8-10 ft seas....

Mar 20, 2004
Added the dodger after that - should have done that 14 years ago! this is a custom dodger with outside handrails to help going forward

Mar 20, 2004
beginning of flotilla 2011 069.JPG
another storm pic after it got ugly -got a little busy so I stopped taking pictures ;-)