Hunter 356

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
Is what the CFO, Admiral whatever she is this week, has settled on.
We looked at 350s(my choice), we looked at bendy toes 351s.
But the 356 gives us the best layout for the family, and I quite like the look, a lot!
So, any 356 owners here? we are just starting the rounds of looking at boats, any "gotchas" we should know about? items to definitely check on these boats?
How about first year upgrades that are on the list?
Moving up from an O'day 25 so a lot of new ground to learn here guys and gals

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter Legend 35 Fairfield, CT
We have just moved from Catalina 30 TRBS to Hunter Legend 35. It does not have the tub cockpit, but sails really well and is a bit more of a traditional sailboat look and feel. The sides are not as high, and the side docks are a bit wider, it also does not have a B&R rig, which are not always favored by riggers, and is a lot less expensive for a 1987-1989 models. Next is the 35.5, same shape/hull, but is a bit different inside. Hunter's quality problems are often around the topsides, gellcoat. The rest is just Hunter, you will not see the Tartan or Ericson teak and woodwork. Make sure that you have new(er) standing rigging, and no rot inside, since leaking is very common. Good luck!

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
not looking for the tartan woodwork, but then, not looking for tartan money either :)
Not afraid of putting in hard elbow grease, but some things just can't be diy'd
I'll rebuild any engine or transmission, I'll rewire the boat, I'll re plumb the chitter, I can't diy 10k$ of blisters, I don't have the space or time!
The 356, offers a compromise it fits "she who should be obeyed" (not must) whilst allowing me to be on the water.
It's not the sailboat I want, but it's the sail boat that allows me to sail with the people I want with me. Just want a heads up of what might need looking at

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
That's pretty much how I got my 356. My wife and her girlfriends picked it out at the Newport Boat Show. When she said this is our next boat, I followed my own rule - which is if your wife wants a bigger boat, buy it. Although I had some issues with some of the systems on the boat - mostly the in mast furling - it was a good boat experience. We used it for a summer home on the water. But we didn't stay at the dock - we weren't allowed to. It sailed better than I expected and even in light air would move. At 15 knots it was slightly past time to reef. The boat does much better sailing flat. When our parents became ill, our use of the boat changed and we sold it.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Captmayhem, That's 15 kts true. Better than 20 apparent. The main was a bit baggy and would stretch in a puff. But yeah that's about right. I'd roll up the main to the first reef about then to keep the boat on it's feet in puffs. Sailing the boat flat was also an asset to domestic tranquility.

Sep 16, 2012
Hunter 356 Rock Hall, MD
I can confirm that above 15 knots seems like a bit much for full canvas of you've got crew looking for comfort. And that the 356 is a great family boat. We spend weekends on the Chesapeake in ours with 3 kids and couldn't be happier. We inherited the roller furling main issues from shemandr (Bella Giornata nee Artemis says hello!), and they were indeed frustrating. We had repeated jams when furling, which was scary if the wind was picking up. We wound up springing for a new main, minus the vertical battens, and that has solved the problem. I can't confirm it was the battens - perhaps she was just too baggy - but not having to wonder if the sail will go back in was worth the cost of the new main. We've had no other issues to speak of. The cabin sole is getting a bit bouncy, but I plan to fix (by which I mean botch and then pay a professional) that this winter.

We were also stepping up - from a Hunter 19. I was so terrified docking on our sea trial that the surveyor had to take me through step by step. I would think that you'll have a little less terror stepping up from your O'Day, but you'll also be happy to know that the comfort level grew pretty quickly. She handles well in tight quarters.

Shemandr - I see you're in Greenport. We sail out of Rock Hall, Maryland, but my parents are just across Gardiner's Bay from you in Three Mile Harbor, and its a dream of mine to sail there with the family. If our schedule ever allows it, perhaps you'll see a familiar hull back in your neck of the woods one day soon!

Sep 16, 2012
Hunter 356 Rock Hall, MD
Yup. I won't be at the boat until next weekend, but the plywood that supports the floorboard is rotting. I haven't given much thought as to the cause, though its right at the base of the companionway as well as just outside the bathroom.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
That seems to be a soft spot in the bracing under the sole - it may not be rot, just the plywood yielding after much heavy use - the cross supports can be braced.
I found that the stock bedsheets stretch after very little use and carry too much draft for windy days. Way back I talked to Glenn Henderson and he said that the design goal for the 356 was based on light Florida winds with the assumption that you could reef early. When I changed to the laminate main it made a huge difference - I could flatten the main, use the traveler to depower in puffs, and carry full sail into the mid-twenties. That said, Glenn also said that the optimal heel for the 356 was 10-15 degrees so reefing earlier would be better. I've found that blasting along at 25-30 degrees or more is fun, but reefing down is actually faster